You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-16 15:40:47

dijxtra

installing grub to a partition

Hi,

I have a separate grub2 partition which then chainloads several OSes. Arch installation procedure offers me only the option of installing the grub in MBR. If I do that, I'll render my dedicated grub2 partition unreachable. Now, that is fixable (booting arch, installing grub on partition, rebooting ubuntu live CD and reinstalling grub2 to MBR), but it is also pain in the ass.

So, is there way to tell arch installation procedure to put grub on a partition instead of MBR?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2012-02-16 15:46:11

hokasch

Re: installing grub to a partition

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25726

You could just skip the bootloader install and add entries for Arch to your existing grub.

#3 2012-02-16 18:19:57

dijxtra

Re: installing grub to a partition

I read the mailing list discussion about this bug and it seems that principal argument for not displaying partitions on list of places to install the bootloader are "grub people do not recomend putting grub in partitions" and  "the list would be to long". Wouldn't it be along the KISS principle to add "install grub to a partition" button and let people like me use it if we wish? :-D

hokasch wrote:

You could just skip the bootloader install and add entries for Arch to your existing grub.

Yeah. I didn't realise I can skip the bootloader install.

Thanks.

Board footer