You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-16 22:32:58

solidus

xfce keyboard layout switching and swapped ctrl/caps lock

Hi, I have a peculiar situation for which I couldn't find a solution. I'm using XFCE as my desktop environment.

I like to have my caps lock and ctrl keys swapped, and I've done so using xmodmap with the following file (it executes everytime I login):

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L

Now in order to be able to type in another language (hebrew) I added a new layout through the xfce keyboard properties menu, but can't seem to figure how to switch to it.
I tried using the panel item which does allow me to switch but it messes up the swapped ctrl and capslock thing.

How can I have some icon on the panel indicating what language is currently set, have the ability to switch layouts and have my ctrl and capslock swapped?

Thank you for your help smile

#2 2012-02-25 21:06:22

cipricus

Re: xfce keyboard layout switching and swapped ctrl/caps lock

don't you use the xfce4-xkb-plugin ? it has some isuues but it allows switching. to save my settings across sessions i edited the file /home/user/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboard-layout.xml

#3 2012-02-25 21:39:36

DSpider

Re: xfce keyboard layout switching and swapped ctrl/caps lock

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf … ings_issue

Is this the "issue"?

I don't know... I don't use Xfce, I use Openbox. This is how I switch my keyboard layout:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier             "Keyboard Defaults"
    MatchIsKeyboard        "yes"
    Option                 "XkbLayout"   "us, ro(std)"
    Option                 "XkbOptions"  "grp:alt_shift_toggle, grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

Alt+Shift works and it even lights up my keyboard's "Scroll Lock" LED. smile I'm absolutely fine with this setup.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer