You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-17 07:17:00

atercor

Hybrid Graphics (Intel + Nvidia GT 520) state of the art

Hello there,

I'm just wondering if anyone with hybrid graphics has checked the new bumblebee release. The switching capability could be great, but i'll just be happy with only shutting down the nvidia card and having long life battery.

Actually I've never tried the proposed solutions because it's warned to be non stable.

So I'm just asking you what experiences have had and what near future solutions are at hand reach.

Greetings,

-and sorry for the painfull english

#2 2012-02-17 15:25:06

pokalai

Re: Hybrid Graphics (Intel + Nvidia GT 520) state of the art

I've used bumblebee (and bbswitch, the power management system for bumblebee) on my laptop and it solved a lot of power issues i had.

My laptop has intel integrated with nvidia 540m dedicated.

I have not experienced any problems, although i don't usually do any graphics intensive stuff with my linux install, so i haven't had it switch on. However it gave me an extra 2-3 hours of battery life because it turns off the card, something that doesn't happen without it. This made linux viable on my laptop, because 4-6 hours of battery life is much better than 2-3 hours (usually 2).

As far as i know it is the only solution available. there will be no official support for the technology on linux from nvidia, so it may be the only real solution.

#3 2012-02-17 16:05:20

ElTimo

Re: Hybrid Graphics (Intel + Nvidia GT 520) state of the art

I'm using it right now, but for me, it only allows me to choose which card to render with, rather than allowing me to switch the discrete card off (as far as I can tell, at least). That said, the extra performance boost is nice for games.

Board footer