You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-17 13:41:54

noreaga
Member
From: Bulgaria
Registered: 2010-02-01
Posts: 20

Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

The survey is closed!

We have 444 responses smile

On this web address http://survey.archlinux.bg you can find the results in ODS and TXT file format.


As already karol mentioned on 11th of March is 10th birtday of Arch Linux. So I decided to make a survey for Arch Linux users.

The survey is available on this web address: http://survey.archlinux.bg and will be available till 11 March 2012 20:00 GMT.

There are 13 easy questions and the time to complete the survey is not more than 2-3 minutes.

Of course I will publish the results when they are ready.

I hope the community will like the survey idea.

Last edited by noreaga (2012-03-11 21:28:49)

Offline

#2 2012-02-17 14:47:17

jgreen1tc
Member
From: St. Louis
Registered: 2011-05-16
Posts: 247

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

The first question should be changed. I have been using Arch for about 1 year, but some people who have been using it for less would be forced to answer the same.

Offline

#3 2012-02-17 14:50:21

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,454

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

The browser question should include luakit and dwb. They're quite popular around here.

Offline

#4 2012-02-17 15:01:43

alphaniner
Member
From: Ancapistan
Registered: 2010-07-12
Posts: 2,659

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Strictly speaking, what constitutes using Arch as a server?  My machine at work is primarily a desktop, but it runs nfsd and dnsmasq which are essential functions in my setup.


But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Offline

#5 2012-02-17 15:03:49

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

alphaniner wrote:

Strictly speaking, what constitutes using Arch as a server?  My machine at work is primarily a desktop, but it runs nfsd and dnsmasq which are essential functions in my setup.

I would say every machine that operates headless, and/or without physical input devices such as keyboard and mouse.

Last edited by litemotiv (2012-02-17 15:04:04)


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#6 2012-02-17 15:05:24

noreaga
Member
From: Bulgaria
Registered: 2010-02-01
Posts: 20

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

@Gusar
Thank you for you remark. Till now there is no answers for browsers "Other", so i added luakit and dwb.

Offline

#7 2012-02-17 15:51:37

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 4,352

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

litemotiv wrote:
alphaniner wrote:

Strictly speaking, what constitutes using Arch as a server?  My machine at work is primarily a desktop, but it runs nfsd and dnsmasq which are essential functions in my setup.

I would say every machine that operates headless, and/or without physical input devices such as keyboard and mouse.

I refuse to give whatever runs on my Atom ION board stupid names. It basically is a file server, syslog server, UPnP server and NTP server for the whole house. It has, however, an HDMI port and is attached to my TV to serve me well running MPD and sometimes even XBMC. It's no HTPC, it was meant to be a NAS initially. It's even beyond a NAS, it's a media/file/home server, although it's not headless.

I'd say even a "desktop" can be a server. A server is an entity that does something for at least one client connecting to it. I'd even go this far, saying that the distinction between "server and desktop" instead of "server and client" is only valid in the land of licencing models, requiring people to buy another licence to activate "features", which are in fact restrictions, like Windows "PC" only allowing one session at once (if you log in via RDP, all other sessions are terminated). We should liberate ourselves from such stubborn concepts.

I have plans for using an old Android phone as an information server. The inhabitants of the house will have a calender, so they can schedule appointments and make the phone call them via VOIP on their internal number or even on an external landline number, maybe with a prerecorded message. A phone? A server? Hurr durr?

Offline

#8 2012-02-17 16:44:29

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Awebb wrote:
litemotiv wrote:
alphaniner wrote:

Strictly speaking, what constitutes using Arch as a server?  My machine at work is primarily a desktop, but it runs nfsd and dnsmasq which are essential functions in my setup.

I would say every machine that operates headless, and/or without physical input devices such as keyboard and mouse.

I refuse to give whatever runs on my Atom ION board stupid names. It basically is a file server, syslog server, UPnP server and NTP server for the whole house. It has, however, an HDMI port and is attached to my TV to serve me well running MPD and sometimes even XBMC. It's no HTPC, it was meant to be a NAS initially. It's even beyond a NAS, it's a media/file/home server, although it's not headless.

I'd say even a "desktop" can be a server. A server is an entity that does something for at least one client connecting to it. I'd even go this far, saying that the distinction between "server and desktop" instead of "server and client" is only valid in the land of licencing models, requiring people to buy another licence to activate "features", which are in fact restrictions, like Windows "PC" only allowing one session at once (if you log in via RDP, all other sessions are terminated). We should liberate ourselves from such stubborn concepts.

I have plans for using an old Android phone as an information server. The inhabitants of the house will have a calender, so they can schedule appointments and make the phone call them via VOIP on their internal number or even on an external landline number, maybe with a prerecorded message. A phone? A server? Hurr durr?

Yes i know there are people who like to start discussions about the definition of everything. Your description would look fine in that survey too. wink


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#9 2012-02-18 03:32:08

Jristz
Member
From: America/Santiago
Registered: 2011-06-11
Posts: 921

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

no AUR related questions? sad

but ok, I join to the paty


Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

Offline

#10 2012-02-18 05:50:57

Avant-texte
Member
Registered: 2012-02-13
Posts: 136

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Nice survey. I look forward to seeing the results. smile

Offline

#11 2012-02-18 10:18:00

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 4,352

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

litemotiv wrote:

Yes i know there are people who like to start discussions about the definition of everything. Your description would look fine in that survey too. wink

Especially when those people are sitting at work and waiting for something boring to compile wink

EDIT:

"Do you use Arch Linux as some sort of entity others might not and/or does your Arch Linux setup run any entities other Arch Linux setups might not run, run in a different style or be run by another entity (physical or abstract)?"

Last edited by Awebb (2012-02-18 10:19:50)

Offline

#12 2012-02-18 11:11:39

hadrons123
Member
From: chennai
Registered: 2011-10-07
Posts: 1,249

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Awebb wrote:

"Do you use Arch Linux as some sort of entity others might not and/or does your Arch Linux setup run any entities other Arch Linux setups might not run, run in a different style or be run by another entity (physical or abstract)?"

How to decode this?


LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

Offline

#13 2012-02-18 16:22:39

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,428

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

hadrons123 wrote:
Awebb wrote:

"Do you use Arch Linux as some sort of entity others might not and/or does your Arch Linux setup run any entities other Arch Linux setups might not run, run in a different style or be run by another entity (physical or abstract)?"

How to decode this?

Ask your lawyer ;P

Offline

#14 2012-02-18 20:06:27

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 4,352

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

This is a self defense mechanism of female cognitive linguists I recently had the pleasure to observe. Nothing fancy.

Offline

#15 2012-02-19 16:16:23

Usul
Member
Registered: 2007-05-17
Posts: 31

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Maybe you should mention somewhere, or better check it in the first place whether the browser has cookies enabled or not. If I submit the form without cookies (default settings in my Firefox setup), I get a hint about cookies, AND loosing all my inputs. I will not answer this questions twice.

Offline

#16 2012-02-20 15:54:25

nomilieu
Member
Registered: 2010-07-03
Posts: 133

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

litemotiv wrote:
alphaniner wrote:

Strictly speaking, what constitutes using Arch as a server?  My machine at work is primarily a desktop, but it runs nfsd and dnsmasq which are essential functions in my setup.

I would say every machine that operates headless, and/or without physical input devices such as keyboard and mouse.

I would disagree. If your machine provides a necessary network service, I'd call it server regardless of what's attached to it.
You can also have a headless desktop machine, and do remote desktop. I use one at work when I need a Windows box.

Offline

#17 2012-02-20 21:32:03

Carharttjimmy
Member
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2010-12-10
Posts: 37

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Very nice survey,  straight to the point. What will happen to the results?

And why no AUR related questions? I second this thought.

Offline

#18 2012-02-21 04:46:46

zergoid99
Member
Registered: 2012-02-08
Posts: 13

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

jgreen1tc wrote:

The first question should be changed. I have been using Arch for about 1 year, but some people who have been using it for less would be forced to answer the same.

Yeah, this. I've been using Arch for about one week.

Offline

#19 2012-02-21 08:04:39

noreaga
Member
From: Bulgaria
Registered: 2010-02-01
Posts: 20

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

zergoid99 wrote:
jgreen1tc wrote:

The first question should be changed. I have been using Arch for about 1 year, but some people who have been using it for less would be forced to answer the same.

Yeah, this. I've been using Arch for about one week.

The idea of answer "1 year" of first question is if you use Arch Linux for a year or less. Sorry it is unclear. I changed "1 year" to "1 year or less".

Carharttjimmy wrote:

Very nice survey,  straight to the point. What will happen to the results?

And why no AUR related questions? I second this thought.

I will publish the results when the survey is finished.

Maybe there are no AUR related questions, because I use packages only from official repos and I don't use AUR. This is a mistake that I didn't include such questions. Sorry for that.

Offline

#20 2012-02-22 21:59:56

Carharttjimmy
Member
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2010-12-10
Posts: 37

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

noreaga wrote:
zergoid99 wrote:
jgreen1tc wrote:

The first question should be changed. I have been using Arch for about 1 year, but some people who have been using it for less would be forced to answer the same.

Yeah, this. I've been using Arch for about one week.

The idea of answer "1 year" of first question is if you use Arch Linux for a year or less. Sorry it is unclear. I changed "1 year" to "1 year or less".

Carharttjimmy wrote:

Very nice survey,  straight to the point. What will happen to the results?

And why no AUR related questions? I second this thought.

I will publish the results when the survey is finished.

Maybe there are no AUR related questions, because I use packages only from official repos and I don't use AUR. This is a mistake that I didn't include such questions. Sorry for that.

Well, that is understandable on why no AUR questions. Can't wait to see the results. big_smile

How will the data be displayed like in graphs or numbers?

Offline

#21 2012-02-23 08:03:11

noreaga
Member
From: Bulgaria
Registered: 2010-02-01
Posts: 20

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

@Carharttjimmy

I was thinking about the way of displaying the results and I'm still no sure, but perhaps I will make a document with both - numbers and some kind of graphs smile

Thank you for the idea smile

Offline

#22 2012-02-23 13:55:37

toad
Member
From: if only I knew
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 1,775
Website

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Awebb wrote:

This is a self defense mechanism of female cognitive linguists I recently had the pleasure to observe. Nothing fancy.

Are these universal concepts of the female world/environment or are they limited to a particular subset of language families? If the latter, can they be superimposed on the semantics of other forms of linguistic expression? If so, take cover and run...


never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Offline

#23 2012-02-23 16:49:55

Carharttjimmy
Member
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2010-12-10
Posts: 37

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

noreaga wrote:

@Carharttjimmy

I was thinking about the way of displaying the results and I'm still no sure, but perhaps I will make a document with both - numbers and some kind of graphs smile

Thank you for the idea smile

I think pie graphs would be great for your categories, as they correspond to the whole. And, you are most welcomed. If you need any help, just catch me in IRC or something.

Offline

#24 2012-02-26 13:35:35

equilibrium
Member
From: EU
Registered: 2008-06-18
Posts: 80
Website

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Nice little survey, will be interesting to see the results big_smile

I also didn't realize arch was 10years old cool ( think I was using gentoo or slackware 10years ago neutral )

Last edited by equilibrium (2012-02-26 13:37:46)


Archlinux x86_64 | Github | acer chromebook c7 (arch)

Offline

#25 2012-02-26 13:42:07

desm0tes
Member
From: 127.0.0.1
Registered: 2012-02-04
Posts: 233
Website

Re: Simple Survey for Arch Linux Users

Where's Razor-QT among those DEs?! :-(

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB