You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-19 15:26:55

n1x4
Website

[SOLVED]Installation/Boot issues.

Morning gents. Got a little bit of an issue with my laptop, Sony Vaio PCG-GRT390ZP. During the installation I have to keep pressing keys to get the installation to keep working, if I don't it just hangs and locks up. Once the install completes I have to do the same, keep pressing keys, to get the system to boot. It wasn't much more than a minor annoyance until I booted it up this AM and now it has affected my WM environment. I've searched high and low for an answer and can't seem to come across anything of any use.

BTW, everything works flawlessly on my desktops.

Here's a link to a screenshot I took while trying to load up netcfg. Passwd prompt wouldn't show up until I hit a few keys which made me fail a couple times, also netcfg hung there until I started hitting keys (yes, I know it does take a little bit for it to load up but I waited 4min until I pressed anything [it was 10:01 AM].This is what I have to do and imagine all this during boot as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58127896/help.png

If I need to add any more information please let me know. Thanks

-n1x4

Last edited by n1x4 (2012-02-21 00:48:37)

||github||

#2 2012-02-20 03:23:46

n1x4
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Installation/Boot issues.

Guess no one knows..lol

Here's one for ya then. X doesn't work. Not a thing on the searches about it either, all dates back to '08. NVIDIA kernel not loaded.. Tried everything under the sun as well. At best, I get xserver started with 'xinit /usr/bin/openbox-session' but it just goes blank and locks up the system..

Kernel == 3.2.6-2
'lspci | grep VGA' == NVIDIA NV31M (GeForce FX Go5600)

xorg-server, xorg-apps, xorg-xinit, basically everything xorg.
Installed openbox as well.
Tried nvidia-xconfig
ALL yeilded nothing

Removed nvidia & utils w/ 'pacman -Rdds'
Installed nouveau.. Still nothing, just the frozen black screen and forced to do a hard reboot.

Any ideas???? I can't copy/paste obviously, no X. So I'll type out any info you guys/gals need.

||github||

#3 2012-02-20 03:46:42

skunktrader

Did you follow the wiki?

the wiki wrote:

Note:
If a problem occurs, then view the log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Be on the lookout for any lines beginning with (EE), which represent errors, and also (WW), which are warnings that could indicate other issues.
If there is an empty .xinitrc file in your $HOME, either delete or edit it in order for X to start properly. If you do not do this X will show a blank screen with what appears to be no errors in your Xorg.0.log. Simply deleting it will get it running with a default X environment.

#4 2012-02-20 03:50:15

n1x4
Website

Yup, to the T. I actually had to copy a .xinitrc from /etc/skel... It wouldn't create one.

||github||

#5 2012-02-20 16:42:57

n1x4
Website

After all the great input I received from you guys I went ahead and tried re-installing the local core pkg a few more times with no luck, so decided to do a net install and see what happened. Oddly enough, it worked. I can enter X.

Still have to keep hitting random keys during the ENTIRE boot process and starting X or it hangs. I can solve that issue by installing the NVIDIA drivers but then X crashes to a black screen or the NVIDIA kernel will fail to load (no such file exists). Hard reboot time.,lol

||github||

#6 2012-02-20 22:50:47

n1x4
Website

Solved... Thanks for the advice...

Had to append 'pci=nommconf' and 'idle=poll' to grub....

||github||

#7 2012-02-20 23:16:51

DSpider

Don't forget to mark it as solved (by editing the first post).

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer