You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-20 20:13:16

JamieKitson
Website

Migrated install stops at Loading initial ramdisk

Hi,

I recently got a new laptop, an Asus Zenbook. As it doesn't have a removeable hard drive I used dd to duplicate my original ssd on to it, but I haven't managed to get it to boot properly as it stops at "loading initial ramdisk". I wasn't sure if the UUID would remain the same so I tried using the disk label instead (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Using_Labels), with the same result. I can boot Linux from USB sticks, but I'm at a loss as what to try next.

Any help much appriciated, Jamie

#2 2012-02-20 21:28:55

DSpider

Re: Migrated install stops at Loading initial ramdisk

Personally I'd only use dd if it's the same disk (brand/model), or at least the same capacity.

For "migrating" an install I had better luck with:

cp -a /source/folder/* /destination/folder/

It's a great way to create backups too because it copies them in the exact same order it finds them on the disk. And chances are very high that it will boot (as opposed to a Windows install). At least just enough for you to configure the new video/sound card, network, etc. You'll obviously need to fix the MBR from a LiveUSB stick if it was formatted or (in your case) if it's a new drive. Give it a shot.

Also, updating the source drive before "migrating" it wouldn't hurt either. If you're trying to deploy a Fall 2008 backup on a 2011 laptop, it may not even boot.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-02-20 21:30:39)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-02-21 09:37:24

JamieKitson
Website

Unfortunately that didn't help, I even tried deleting and recreating the partition. The MBR isn't an issue as I'm using UEFI, and besides, Grub loads ok. It seems like a fresh install is my only option sad I might see what happens if I take some of the boot files from a live Arch disk.

Edit: I guess what I need to do is boot it from a live USB stick and rebuild initrd?

Last edited by JamieKitson (2012-02-21 10:05:14)

#4 2012-02-21 21:47:42

JamieKitson
Website

It seems to be a bug with Grub2, UEFI and Asus machines. BIOS works.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1061581

Last edited by JamieKitson (2012-02-22 10:10:49)

Board footer