You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-20 23:13:39

mafiatfc

[Solved] BIOS GPT LVM Syslinux Troubles

I have unsuccessfully installed Arch about 10 times.  I am trying this on a BIOS boot laptop (HP 6910p).  After I install Syslinux I reboot and get "Missing OS".  Here is my general process:

1. Obtain gptfdisk and create 1 LVM partition.  It's my understanding that Syslinux can boot directly into an LVM partion so that a legacy BIOS boot partition is unneeded (unlike grub2).
2. Setup LVM partitions as follows:
     /dev/mapper/arch-boot
     /dev/mapper/arch-root
3: Format arch-boot to ext2 and arch-root to ext4.
4. Setup archlinux
     a. made sure USELVM was set to "yes" in rc.conf and that the lmv2 module is loaded in mkinitcpio configuration file.
     b. skipped the install boot loader stop
5. Mount dev, proc, and sysfs and chroot into the install environment.
6. Install syslinux through pacman.
     - Here's were things could be going wrong.  The setup script for syslinux fails to set the boot code.  I have manually installed it and set the attribute bit on /dev/sda to 2 for legacy bios boot and then installed the master boot record with dd.

There we have it, 10 failed installs.  Am I doing something blatantly wrong?

Last edited by mafiatfc (2012-02-21 23:16:20)

#2 2012-02-21 13:08:05

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: [Solved] BIOS GPT LVM Syslinux Troubles

mafiatfc wrote:

I have unsuccessfully installed Arch about 10 times.  I am trying this on a BIOS boot laptop (HP 6910p).  After I install Syslinux I reboot and get "Missing OS".  Here is my general process:

1. Obtain gptfdisk and create 1 LVM partition.  It's my understanding that Syslinux can boot directly into an LVM partion so that a legacy BIOS boot partition is unneeded (unlike grub2).
2. Setup LVM partitions as follows:
     /dev/mapper/arch-boot
     /dev/mapper/arch-root
3: Format arch-boot to ext2 and arch-root to ext4.
4. Setup archlinux
     a. made sure USELVM was set to "yes" in rc.conf and that the lmv2 module is loaded in mkinitcpio configuration file.
     b. skipped the install boot loader stop
5. Mount dev, proc, and sysfs and chroot into the install environment.
6. Install syslinux through pacman.
     - Here's were things could be going wrong.  The setup script for syslinux fails to set the boot code.  I have manually installed it and set the attribute bit on /dev/sda to 2 for legacy bios boot and then installed the master boot record with dd.

There we have it, 10 failed installs.  Am I doing something blatantly wrong?

I suppose you are using 1 single LVM GPT partition covering the whole disk. I don't think that will work with syslinux. Have the /boot partition outside the LVM, set the legacy bios bootable gpt attribute in that partition, install syslinux to that, dd gptmbr.img to <disk> and reboot.

#3 2012-02-21 23:11:37

mafiatfc

Re: [Solved] BIOS GPT LVM Syslinux Troubles

This did work, I have it setup now with /dev/sda1 as /boot with the boot flag bit set and /dev/sda2 as the LVM with the rest of the volumes.  Thanks!

Board footer