You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-09 02:50:17

sepht

Distro Boot-time Comparison(Now With Gentoo results)

I wanted to post something, and since I don't want to think.. here's something I wasted yesterday on:

Linux Bootcharts, Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch, FC3, FC4
its done with bootchart... I just had time, tried to be as fair, posted every possible variable difference in the notes.

EDIT: Gentoo is now on there too.

#2 2005-07-09 02:59:11

iBertus

Re: Distro Boot-time Comparison(Now With Gentoo results)

can't believe that FC4 came up in second place.

#3 2005-07-09 03:05:57

sepht

bootchart was utilized like mad in the FC4 dev process, FC3's results were so bad, they worked extra hard to fix it.
I really find the amount of FC critisizism undeserved
the FC guys are constantly working against whatever problems arise yum has gotten to be a pretty good package manager in FC4.
If all the installs, FC4 was the most pain-free install and upgrade(since i had the wireless script already, otherwise arch would have won) I still prefer Arch's not filled with crap approach, but I really like the work the FC guys have done, not only with graphical tools, but with java, SELinux, porting eclipse to gcj, etc.
Hell FC5 plans call for a new init system, better laptop support, and more yum intergration, especially in anaconda, and better gcj support for things like azuereus.

#4 2005-07-09 03:15:13

ozar

Hey, that's interesting - thanks for posting it.  Arch always seem to boot fast for me, too.

oz

#5 2005-07-09 04:36:18

iBertus

i've used FC and find it to be a great distro for people that need a well polished linux environment. my experience was with FC2, FC3 and so i was just shocked to see the difference.

#6 2005-07-09 06:12:43

CyberTron
Website

I have tried FC4 and Ubuntu when trying to decide which distro I should use in my class later on, but it felt slow, compared to slack and escpeially arch, (decided to go with slackware since arch is "the next step", I will however introduce arch to them in the end of the semester...:D

btw, it was a very nice comparison, good work  big_smile

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#7 2005-07-09 06:16:45

iBertus

yes, thanks for putting together that comparison. must have been a pain in the ass!

#8 2005-07-09 10:14:01

sepht

no problem, the pain in the ass comes next week when I get time to add gentoo into this...

#9 2005-07-09 10:19:12

CyberTron
Website

sepht wrote:

no problem, the pain in the ass comes next week when I get time to add gentoo into this...

hahaha, well do you realllly have the time to install a full gentoo !! smile wow, I can think of better ways spending that time big_smile

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#10 2005-07-09 10:21:28

sepht

Ah, but after the time-wasting install(with extra timewasting features like stage1) I'll be able to get proof of not only boot time but other benchmarks, that Gentoo really ISN'T as fast as people may like to think, or maybe that it is, I'll just have to see.

#11 2005-07-09 15:59:24

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

the thing about benchmarking a non-binary distro is...people will always say, "omg! you should have used --omg-optimize AND --omg-sif-n00bz for compiling...you made is slower on purpose!" and stuff like that.

Still, I would like to see the results. Thanks for all the hard work..just be ready for a little flamage if you release the results to the 'net at large.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#12 2005-07-09 16:34:38

ozar

Yeah, cactus is right - someone will complain no matter what you do... especially if their distro isn't shown to be the fastest at booting.   roll

Still it's a fun project, and I look forward to seeing the additional graphs, too.    8)

oz

#13 2005-07-09 18:20:25

sepht

Thats why I'm doing a stage one and doing the most reasonable, rational compile tags.
march, O2, pipe, formit frame, funrolls, mmx, sse, for use, I'm thinking about ntpl, I mean.. nowhere does to recomend to use NTPL which is a shame..

On technologies gentoo is quickly aging.. its one of the few DevFS only distros, and doesn't utilize NTPL, heck even slack current does.

#14 2005-07-09 18:56:16

sarah31
Website

You shouldn't be booting your computer on a daily basis. I never understood why boot time is such a big deal. You get almost any computer using whatevver OS to boot faster depending on how well you know the system and control just what it is bringing up at boot time.

It is like the processor speed freaks. Unless you are doubling the speed of your processor you will hardly be able to realize most incremental speed increases. Hell if you want to have your system working at its peak it is not always a matter of overclocking or whatever it is cramming it full of RAM that will often get you the best speed/performance bumps.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#15 2005-07-09 19:17:38

sepht

I reboot mine every day, I don't need it running during the night, buzzing right in my ear..

#16 2005-07-09 20:59:03

Euphoric Nightmare

I see your still using that horrid geocities site...

However, I find the results quite interesting.  I thought slack would be a lot closer to arch if not slightly faster to boot up.

#17 2005-07-09 21:36:40

sepht

maybe -current is buggered for slackware :-/

the geocities site is just the HTML lol, images are setup on imageshack lol

#18 2005-07-10 06:01:01

Duke

I'm sure boot times are important for a number of people.  I for one can't stand that buzzing either, so I reboot my machine a whole bunch of times a day.  I'm a student and have my computer in my bedroom, so I'm not going to leave it on while, say my girlfriend is over, nor will I leave it on while I'm sleeping.

Oh, and I'm sure everyone has been about to go out to the movies, but forgot to check the times and need to boot up that PC of yours in a hurry, or maybe you forgot to check the bus/metro route to get to (insert important meeting here) and you have to turn on that machine of yours and check online.

There are always going to be people that STILL reboot their systems, just like there are STILL people using dialup, or STILL watching broadcast TV (not even basic cable unfortunately)...

#19 2005-07-11 21:01:49

TheDoctor
Website

Euphoric Nightmare wrote:

I see your still using that horrid geocities site...

However, I find the results quite interesting.  I thought slack would be a lot closer to arch if not slightly faster to boot up.

I found that Slacks hotplug ran really slow compared to Arch.  If you take that out and load everything manually, then it's alright in speed. 
I never really bothered to find out why this is though.

#20 2005-07-11 21:35:11

arooaroo
Website

One problem that someone pointed out was that the different distros were installed on different partitions.  IO performance differs purely due to physical location on the same hard disk.

Something to think about, especially if you are to introduce the micro-second obsessed Gentoo crowd to the show.

#21 2005-07-12 02:21:48

iphitus
Forum Fellow

sarah31 wrote:

You shouldn't be booting your computer on a daily basis. I never understood why boot time is such a big deal. You get almost any computer using whatevver OS to boot faster depending on how well you know the system and control just what it is bringing up at boot time.

It is like the processor speed freaks. Unless you are doubling the speed of your processor you will hardly be able to realize most incremental speed increases. Hell if you want to have your system working at its peak it is not always a matter of overclocking or whatever it is cramming it full of RAM that will often get you the best speed/performance bumps.

I'm a laptop user, I use my laptop at school, boot time makes a big difference.

Everyone always forgets the laptop users.....

#22 2005-07-12 02:25:56

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

iphitus wrote:
sarah31 wrote:

You shouldn't be booting your computer on a daily basis./quote]

I'm a laptop user, I use my laptop at school, boot time makes a big difference.

Everyone always forgets the laptop users.....

Or the users who have to sleep beside their desktops... or the users who have to survive in a very hot room and would prefer to have their CPU adding to that heat when its actually in use.

Dusty

#23 2005-07-12 06:10:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

In an ideal world, we'd have no heating issues and electricity would be transmittable, meaning no batteries in range of a transmitter. then make the transmitter wifi enabled, with OC72, or ADSL2..... big_smile

that'd be sooooo cool!

#24 2005-07-12 06:31:44

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

/me rushes off to patent 'power over imagination' and 'broadband over imagination' protocols

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#25 2005-07-12 07:42:28

sweiss

Don't know about you, but I usually don't watch my machine while it boots. I just power it on and go do some other morning tasks in the mean time.

Board footer