You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-24 00:09:05

seebs

dm1-4020us: Various problems

Since I don't have stable network on this I haven't got all the data I'd like for it, but I figured I'd start the ball rolling.

Summary:  I have a dm1-4020us netbook, which is an AMD Fusion E-450.  I've done pacman -Syu to get to a current kernel and all.

Wireless Issues:
Broadcom 4313 wireless (device ID 4727).  It comes up as brcmsmac, and looks normal when it comes up.  (FWIW, I'm dual-booting with Windows, where the wireless works fine.)

* On a WEP network, it gets a wpa_supplicant failure to authenticate.  Pretty sure I have the key right.
* On a network with no security, it connects, but loses and resets the connection frequently if I attempt to actually use it.
* I sometimes have trouble getting it to emit scan results at all, but it worked today so maybe I was doing something stupid.

I can come back with more info (lspci, dmesg, etc.), but before I go too far down that:  Anyone having better or worse results with the 4313?  Should I be trying to use a different driver?  The wiki seems to think that the 4313 should be on brcmsmac, so I was assuming that was right.

Grub issues:
On initial boot it's fine, on a reboot from either OS the display is hopelessly tiny and garbled and duplicated over parts of the screen, making me think I need some kind of VGA-mode-setting thing.

Haven't tried sleeping or X yet.  The SD card reader seems okay but I haven't loaded it heavily, just mount/ls/umount.

#2 2012-02-24 19:00:55

Strike0

Re: dm1-4020us: Various problems

Look with "lsmod" if you have any drivers conflicting brcmsmac loaded.
If troubles continue, you might want to test the LTS kernel.
Doing a quick search here with your cards PCI ID seems to suggest most users do actually use that broadcom driver for that device.

#3 2013-05-16 02:47:22

Pachacuti0

I own that same machine and solved all problems I had with wireless by migrating from brcmsmac to broadcom-wl. I know it's closed source, but it's worth it. Take a look at the broadcom entry on the archwiki.

Last edited by Pachacuti0 (2013-05-16 14:13:34)

#4 2013-05-16 03:02:06

ewaller
Administrator

What are you using to control your network?  Ensure you don't have multiple things trying to manage the NIC.  If you are trying to issue commands by hand and netcfg or netctl are also running, bad things happen.  Can you post the output of systemctl  ??

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer