You are not logged in.

#26 2012-02-28 21:55:51

Pitou

Re: [SOLVED] Since networkmanager upgrade wifi dowsn't connect anymore

same thing

#27 2012-02-29 18:20:05

Pitou

Did pacman -Syu today. Updated the kernel to 3.2.8.

Now if I boot my PC with the ethernet cable connected, the wifi connects as well, but if the cable is not connected, the wifi doesn't connect. The cable has to be connected on boot. If I connect the cable once the system is booted, the wifi doesn't connect.

Weird.

Pitou!

#28 2012-02-29 18:25:37

attila1964

Since about one week I'm using wicd instead of networkmanager...

#29 2012-02-29 19:54:40

Avant-texte

Pitou wrote:

Did pacman -Syu today. Updated the kernel to 3.2.8.

Now if I boot my PC with the ethernet cable connected, the wifi connects as well, but if the cable is not connected, the wifi doesn't connect. The cable has to be connected on boot. If I connect the cable once the system is booted, the wifi doesn't connect.

Weird.

Pitou!

Honestly, a lot of the kernel's support for several chipsets has recently been broken. The repair patches are coming, but it takes time. The best thing you can do is try all the suggested workarounds you can, all the troubleshooting you can think of, make sure the kernel is really at the center of your problems (which it seems you've been doing), then head over to bugzilla.kernel.org. If you can't find a bug report that matches your problem for your driver, open a report with all the info and debuging output you can. That way you can help crush the bug(s).

I've been trying to handle some post-upgrade wireless problems, but also ran out of options. In my case, I'm using the Arch LTS kernel (which is at version 3.0.22-1) as a backup kernel. I haven't tried 3.2.8 yet, but I expect many of us will be older kernels until one of the 3.3s.

#30 2012-02-29 20:03:12

Pitou

Understand, will try wicd tonight and/or downgrade the kernel.

Thanks everyone for the help. Very appreciated!

Pitou!

#31 2012-02-29 21:53:42

Strike0

Pitou wrote:

The cable has to be connected on boot. If I connect the cable once the system is booted, the wifi doesn't connect.

That is indeed weird. Do you have any other network in rc.conf daemons except networkmanager?
Start it in the background in rc.conf.
Another test: boot without cable; restart networkmanager via console (rc.d restart networkmanager).

#32 2012-03-01 15:43:53

M4he

I'm experiencing the same issues on my netbook since the networkmanager upgrade. My wifi according to lspci is:

Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

I'm using the broadcom-wl driver from the AUR.

After every failed attempt to connect the following line is added to dmesg:

cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

Arch - makes me feel right at /home

#33 2012-03-01 16:27:22

Avant-texte

M4he wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issues on my netbook since the networkmanager upgrade.

1. I asked Pitou, now I'll ask you. Is NetworkManager the only thing you upgraded when the problems started? It's not the only thing that can break you're network. It's one of several.

2. Have you tried turning off NetworkManager and initiating your connection manually? If it then starts working, okay. If the problem continues, than you may be blaming the wrong thing.

3. You should be carefull about posting to a pre-existing thread if you don't have answers to these questions. You'r problem could turn out to be different from the OP's and thus you could end up hijacking the thread. Also, posting to this has become dubious if NetworkManager is really your problem. While it's on topic with the title, this thread itself has started leaning towards looking at the kernel instead of NetworkManager.

Last edited by Avant-texte (2012-03-01 16:28:22)

#34 2012-03-02 20:52:54

Pitou

I disabled networkmanager installed wicd and it works fine with it.

#35 2012-03-02 21:12:12

attila1964

After one week using wicd today I installed Arch from the latest official ISO and upgraded my system to kernel 3.2.8-1 and networkmanager works... (Of course I have wicd installed, too...) smile

Last edited by attila1964 (2012-03-02 21:12:48)

#36 2012-03-03 21:24:51

Pitou

REbooted my system today and now wicd doesn't connect. It behaves exactly like networkmanager.

#37 2012-03-04 00:04:40

Strike0

Please confirm if you have updated everything or still have parts of the network stuff downgraded for now.
Also please say, if you tried the 3.0 LTS kernel.

#38 2012-03-04 19:17:20

chetwisniewski

I am using an Asus Zenbook with an AR 9485/Ath9K chip. I downgraded to 3.2.5-1 and left libnl and networkmanager upgraded and it resolved the issue. Also had issues with the USB ports under kernel 3.2.8-1, so I am going to stick with 3.2.5 for now. I may try some other combinations of networkmanager and kernels to see how it impacts the issue and post here later.

#39 2012-03-05 15:42:22

lartza

I had the same issue after upgrading networkmanager to 0.9.2 or linux to 3.2.7

02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Basically an endless connection failed, reconnecting, ... (with an occasional notification that it's connected, and in fact iwconfig displayed essid for a brief moment)

Seeing that some had it fixed magically and others by installing arch from scratch I did following

/etc/rc.d/networkmanager stop
rm -rf /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/* 
rm -rf /var/lib/NetworkManager/*
reboot

And... It didn't fix it!

What eventually got rid of the problem was this:

useradd -m test
passwd test

Log in through gdm as test, add your networks as test, return as the original user.

Now, If anyone knows wth dbus/nm/polkit/gdm/... are doing to cause this behaviour I congratulate.

Last edited by lartza (2012-03-05 15:49:01)

#40 2012-03-05 18:21:25

Strike0

That is an interesting work-around indeed, lartza.
Looking forward to see here, if that works also for some of the other posters who have the problem (also with different chipsets)...

#41 2012-03-05 19:12:49

M4he

lartza's workaround didn't work for me.

BUT adding

ipv6.disable=1

to the kernel line within the bootloader configuration and therefore disabling IPv6 did it!

Arch - makes me feel right at /home

#42 2012-03-06 09:18:12

lartza

today I waked the laptop from sleep and networkmanager went back to the failed... disconnected... reconnecting loop.. and the rm -rf networkmanager state + user switching didn't work anymore. But it did stay connected for several hours yesterday with the previously mentioned procedure.

I'll try m4he's fix though I'd like to use ip6

edit: disabling ip6 from boot makes the wireless definitely more stable, though the first time I tried suspending and waking the laptop it didn't reconnect or detect my unencrypted AP at all. I opened network settings / wireless, it crashed, and nm applet said "connected". After that suspend + wake seems to work. I'll report any further instabilities here.

Last edited by lartza (2012-03-06 09:32:17)

#43 2012-03-06 16:58:45

Avant-texte

lartza wrote:

today I waked the laptop from sleep and networkmanager went back to the failed... disconnected... reconnecting loop.. and the rm -rf networkmanager state + user switching didn't work anymore. But it did stay connected for several hours yesterday with the previously mentioned procedure.

If it was working before and stopped only after a RAM suspend, take a look at things like polkit. Session authentication agents are responsible for restoring such things after wakinging up from a suspention. Use terminal from within your GUI environment to execute `ck-list-sessions` to see the state of your X session. However, GDM should initiate everything properly.

Eliminate the possibility of driver malfunctions before you try too much else. Trying the IPv6 and/or encyption workarounds are good things to try if you're using ath9k.

#44 2012-03-09 15:09:13

Pitou

disabling ipv6 like M4he described solved the problem for me as well.

#45 2012-03-12 01:46:27

chetwisniewski

IPv6 disable worked for me too, although I kind of need it. Does this indicate it is a kernel problem, or a network-manager problem?

#46 2012-03-17 02:43:59

gun26

I think we do have problems with the current Arch kernel. I recently did a clean install on my Thinkpad X200 laptop with Intel 5300 wireless. At first things were working okay (a basic gnome install with networkmanager) but I got the disconnect problem after an upgrade. On my desktop, I routinely build the current git kernel from the package in AUR. On a hunch I tried installing kernel 3.3.0-rc7-00066-gf1cbd03 on the laptop and wireless was working again with no other changes. For those unwilling to build their own kernel, try installing the Arch LTS kernel to see if that gets your wireless going again.

#47 2012-03-17 14:25:32

Avant-texte

gun26 wrote:

I think we do have problems with the current Arch kernel. I recently did a clean install on my Thinkpad X200 laptop with Intel 5300 wireless. At first things were working okay (a basic gnome install with networkmanager) but I got the disconnect problem after an upgrade. On my desktop, I routinely build the current git kernel from the package in AUR. On a hunch I tried installing kernel 3.3.0-rc7-00066-gf1cbd03 on the laptop and wireless was working again with no other changes. For those unwilling to build their own kernel, try installing the Arch LTS kernel to see if that gets your wireless going again.

I'm hesitant to say the "Arch" kernel, as the Arch devs only apply 4 non-network realated patches. However, you're right. The current kernel has some big networking bugs for select network cards. I wouldn't be able stay online for more than five minutes (before my connection freezing but appearing to still be up) if I used the 3.2.x kernel in the core repo. Without networking, Linux 3.2 is unfortunately useless to me. Still haven't tried 3.3 yet, but I hope my bug is gone too.

EDIT
I would like to echo gun26 and say you should keep the lts kernel on your system as a backup kernel. The lts kernel doesn't conflict with current kernel and you can pacman both to your system. However, I think it's good to have whether you use only the repos or compile your kernel yourself. You always need a trustworthy backup when testing a newly compiled kernel.

Last edited by Avant-texte (2012-03-17 14:32:32)

#48 2012-03-19 21:17:15

gun26

Well, it turns out it's not the version of the kernel that's the problem. My git kernel stopped working too. I ended up disabling ipv6 via M4he's method above of adding ipv6.disable=1 to the kernel command line in grub in order for networkmanager to work.  Even though networkmanager remains broken with any kernel version with ipv6 enabled, netcfg is still working, so the ipv6 problem seems to be specific to networkmanager. Downgrading networkmanager to the only previous version I had available didn't help.

#49 2012-04-10 17:49:29

Pitou

Any solution to networkmanager + ipv6 yet?

#50 2012-04-10 18:48:47

Pitou

I guess I have my answer. From the networkmanager 0.9.4 changelog. I know 0.9.4 is in testing at the moment

* IP configuration is now non-blocking; waiting for IPv6 RA no longer blocks
    the device from activating if IPv4 is ready and vice versa
* A bug causing IPv6 address assignment to fail on newer kernels with libnl3
    has been fixed

Full changelog:
------------------

==============================================
NetworkManager-0.9.4
Overview of changes since NetworkManager-0.9.2
==============================================

This is a new stable release of NetworkManager.  Notable changes include:

* Better handling of WiFi devices via nl80211 when available (instead of WEXT)
* IP configuration is now non-blocking; waiting for IPv6 RA no longer blocks
    the device from activating if IPv4 is ready and vice versa
* Addded support for firewall "zones" via FirewallD
* Added basic support for bonded interfaces
* WiFi connections are no longer locked to a specific MAC address if they are
    "locally administered" addresses (ie, 02:::::)
* New state change reasons have been added for mobile broadband PIN errors
* Agent-owned secrets are now sent to agents for newly created connections
* Support for non-UTF8-encoded 802.1x passwords has been added
* libnm-glib now fetches some properties more aggressively (like active
    connections, access points, etc)
* Added basic support for IP-over-Infiniband interfaces
* Added support for device plugins and converted WiMAX support to a plugin for
    easier packaging and simpler dependencies
* Added support for VLAN interfaces
* Added support for 802.1x EAP-FAST authentication
* Added non-blocking mode and API to libnm-glib
* Linux Wireless Extensions (WEXT) support can be disabled at configure time
    with --with-wext=no
* IPv6 Privacy Extensions are now enabled by default for new connections
* Support for checking Internet connectivity has been added
* The ifnet system config plugin rewrites config files less often
* A bug causing IPv6 address assignment to fail on newer kernels with libnl3
    has been fixed
* Fix a bug in the ifcfg-rh plugin with backticks in WPA passphrases
* Ensure connections that cannot be stored are ignored by the ifnet plugin
* Enable out-of-the-box IPv6 connectivity by allowing IPv4 to fail if IPv6 succeeds
* Allow proxying of DNSSEC data when using the dnsmasq local caching nameserver plugin
* Add support for multiple domain names sent from VPN plugins
* Removed support for WiFi Ad-Hoc WPA connections due to kernel bugs

Last edited by Pitou (2012-04-10 18:49:13)

Board footer