You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-25 10:54:28

sporkexec

sscrotwm - A bloatless fork of the scrotwm/spectrwm window manager

So I forked scrotwm/spectrwm with the goal of making it a bit lighter and cleaner.
sscrotwm on GitHub
sscrotwm on AUR
(For current scrotwm/spectrwm users, just remove everything involving libswmhack.so to resolve the conflict.)

So far I've mostly been clearing out some features, things are around 25% smaller in most areas.
Some features removed:
- Status bar, clock (we have enough clocks already)
- Iconification
- Annoying smart resizing and moving behavior (Impossible to move things off screen at all)
- Synthetic mouse clicks (Use xdotool and friends)
- Tight dmenu coupling for search and naming
- xterm-specific means to resize font according to window size
- Fancy cursors while moving/resizing
- Pointless copypasta from BSD libraries
- Annoying focus models
- Pointless integration with utilities (screenshots, etc.) that should be done though configuration
- More to come

I wasn't happy with the direction scrotwm was going. Weird new features and not really getting any cleaner, but still pretty awesome. Then they decided to change the name. I *loved* that name. It won strange looks. So I'm taking the pun a little further with sscrotwm.

There's still lots of work to do, but it's now good enough for me to use on a daily basis, so I figured someone else might like to see. Send all manners of complaints or requests back, although I don't plan on adding much.

Cheers!

#2 2012-02-27 19:22:19

oliver

Re: sscrotwm - A bloatless fork of the scrotwm/spectrwm window manager

I think you have a bug somewhere in the PKGBUILD (or I'm missing something major)... A couple of code-block examples will be easier than trying to describe it:

$ pacman -Ql sscrotwm-git|grep bin/
sscrotwm-git /usr/bin/
sscrotwm-git /usr/bin/scrotwm
sscrotwm-git /usr/bin/sscrotwm
$ cd /usr/bin
$ ls -l |grep scrot
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root            52 Feb 27 14:07 scrotwm -> /home/oliver/tmp/sscrotwm-git/pkg/usr/bin/sscrotwm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root         68544 Feb 27 14:07 sscrotwm

Edit - I installed via downloading the tar file from AUR and running makepkg

Last edited by oliver (2012-02-27 19:23:14)

#3 2012-02-27 21:00:10

oliver

whats odd is I also installed spectrwm (from the community repo) and it has the same issue where scrotwm now links to /build/pkg/usr/bin/spectrwm... so if you built from that PKGBUILD it's probably the cause.  I've opened a bug against this

Last edited by oliver (2012-02-27 21:19:35)

#4 2012-02-27 21:59:15

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

My apologies for letting that slip through at all.  I guess I was a little too focused on trying to make the name change go smoothly.  Fix pushed.

#5 2012-02-27 22:34:05

Beastie

How do i compile this ?

i get:

Makefile:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.

#6 2012-02-28 12:19:30

sporkexec

Nice catch, oliver. It was actually based on the AUR spectrwm-git PKGBUILD, which has the same problem.

Beastie: Looks like you're trying to build in the root of the source. scrotwm has an OpenBSD heritage and so its top-level Makefile isn't in GNU Make's dialect. Go into the linux directory and build from there.
Be warned that unless you manually put things in the right place, you're going to get warnings about libswmhack.so in LD_PRELOAD.

#7 2012-03-26 02:54:26

Splex

Just came across this fork.  I don't agree with most of the feature removal, but it is nice to see a project continuing development under the name.  I know a lot of people didn't like the name change.

#8 2012-08-23 09:55:51

chickenPie4tea

like the idea of it but I wouldn't want to be without some sort of status bar myself.

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

Board footer