You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-26 23:23:33

zippymorocco

[Solved] Taking a long time to get from login (Gdm) to desktop

I have searched for and answer and am unable to even find a starting place to fix this.  The boot process is great and gets to the log in splash screen (gdm) quick.   After log in it hangs for a very long time, almost a minute, before landing on the Gnome 3 desktop.  Any help to remedy this would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Last edited by zippymorocco (2012-03-03 18:37:37)

#2 2012-02-26 23:26:49

possiblefool

Re: [Solved] Taking a long time to get from login (Gdm) to desktop

Do you mean gdm? Does it have a log file in /var/log? the output of that may contain clues.

#3 2012-02-26 23:30:35

zippymorocco

yes gdm, sorry I write about phones a lot and got mixed up with my acronyms.  I have looked through the logs and have not found anything that I have found helpful.

#4 2012-02-26 23:47:13

desm0tes
Website

Does it actually "hang" or is it simply loading? Are you using a custom script at/to start?
What's your hardware? Gnome is a fulltime job for your PU's wink

#5 2012-02-27 00:52:57

zippymorocco

It may very well be loading but it use to be much quicker.  I am considering jumping the gnome ship in order to go lighter.  I have always used gnome since coming to linux but am certainly willing to go in a different direction.  I am not using a custom script.  As far as hardware,  are you asking about the pci info or other.  It is a Gateway nv7802u, Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6600 2.20Ghz, Intel PM/GM45 Express Chipset, 4 GB of memory.

#6 2012-02-27 05:44:08

silverlove
Website

You may try e4rat.

What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow.

#7 2012-02-28 03:19:51

BRAXS69

Has this recently started happening after an update or has it been going on ever sense you installed gnome3? normally when i get these kind of issues after an update i simply delete the configuration files related to the desktop environment , a little crude but sometimes api changes in newer version of the desktop causes strange behavior. But that seems not unlikely but not the first assumption that comes to mind..

Clear out all configuration related to gnome, you will need to do this in a terminal session "ctrl + Alt + F1", you will also need to be logged out of gnome to do this.

kill -9 -1 # an over precariousness measure if it takes you back to gdm switch back to the shell  
mv ~/.config ~/.config.bak 
mv ~/.gconf ~/.gconf.bak
mv ~/.local ~/.local.bak

* note that this will rename these files to have ".bak" to the end of the original name thus you can undo the change.

Upon doing this reboot the system normally when you're at the terminal login screen you can press "Ctrl + Alt + Del" to reset then log back in and hope for the best.

On another note how does it run afterwards when you're finally logged in? choppy or does it run without missing a beat? gnome3's compositing could be causing the issue, under "system settings >> System Info >>  Graphics" there is a toggle to switch to fallback mode. Once toggled log out and log back in it will of course take you to the fallback desktop but if still takes a while to login then a least you know that its not related to you're graphics hardware and you can of course reverse the steps and switch it back to normal.

stepf.png

Other then that i cant really think of any other issues that could be causing the startup hang i have had some issues with pulseaudio causing my system to be unresponsive when logging in in the past but that has only occurred when running the KDE4 desktop.

Let me know how you progress
-- Brett

#8 2012-03-03 18:35:39

zippymorocco

Brett,

Thank you very much.  That did the trick.  My login time went from 50+ seconds to about 5.  Also, you asked if it ran well once logged in.  It always performed nicely once it was logged in.  Now it gets there quick!

Last edited by zippymorocco (2012-03-03 18:43:05)

Board footer