You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-28 02:02:30

MasterGberry

Dual Graphics Chips...?

Hi.  My laptop contains a built in intel graphics chip, and in addition a 310M Nvidia graphics card.  When I use windows on this laptop I am able to switch between the intel chip and the nvidia graphics card using the nvidia control panel setup.  I have been reading about hybrid graphics on the wiki, and looking at some applications such as bumblebee...but I am honestly completely lost.  My main objective is to get StarCraft II running on this computer using WINE.

Ideally I would like to be able to use the nvidia graphics card for StarCraft II and the intel chip for everything else (since the intel chip takes less battery), but I am also willing to settle with just the nvidia graphics card for everything...Can I please get some help on how to get there?

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops … 645-S4050/

The link above is my laptop model along with the specifications for it.  Thank you very much.

#2 2012-02-28 06:14:02

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Dual Graphics Chips...?

EDIT: Holy crap I must've been tired. The following is what I said originally and it is completely useless:

Since you didn't mention Bumblebee, I'll assume that directing you to this page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee may help.

Last edited by ConnorBehan (2012-02-28 19:19:26)

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#3 2012-02-28 14:38:56

lifeafter2am

Actually they did mention bumblebee in their post:

MasterGberry wrote:

Hi.  My laptop contains a built in intel graphics chip, and in addition a 310M Nvidia graphics card.  When I use windows on this laptop I am able to switch between the intel chip and the nvidia graphics card using the nvidia control panel setup.  I have been reading about hybrid graphics on the wiki, and looking at some applications such as bumblebee...but I am honestly completely lost.  My main objective is to get StarCraft II running on this computer using WINE.

Ideally I would like to be able to use the nvidia graphics card for StarCraft II and the intel chip for everything else (since the intel chip takes less battery), but I am also willing to settle with just the nvidia graphics card for everything...Can I please get some help on how to get there?

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops … 645-S4050/

The link above is my laptop model along with the specifications for it.  Thank you very much.

Arch is not a hand-holding distribution. Read as much as you can on bumblebee, and start working with your system. If you come up with a specific issue, search and read more. If after tons of searching and tweaking you can't get it to work (and no searching solves your issue) then come here and ask for help on specific issues. No one is going to write a whole howto just for you.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#4 2012-02-28 14:43:55

ANOKNUSA

If power-saving is at all important to you, Bumblebee is the only way to go.  Running the Nvidia card constantly will only eat up battery life, so if playing one game is worth that, just install the Nvidia driver.  Otherwise, use Bumblebee as best you can.

#5 2012-02-28 22:13:03

MasterGberry

Ok, so I will have to look in more detail at bumblebee.  So from my understanding I need to install the "nvidia" driver and then afterwards install "bumblebee" along with "lib32-virtualgl (I have a 64 bit system) and lastly "nvidia-utils-bumblee".  Right?

Board footer