You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-28 04:06:29

nickmarkham397

Update in VM did not work, help me

i dont know if this has anything to do with the discussion but i realy need help

i am a noob to arch even though i have used it for the past year in a virtual box running under a windows 7 host system. it was great untill i had to upgrade to the new pacman. after a few hours of hell and reserch i got it to work and downloaded the 1.35gig of updates i needed. after this it says my root partition is full and when i rebooted my vbox it brought me to an xdm login instead of a kdm login. i got mad and reinstalled after that i reinstalled archlinux-2010.05-core-dual and tried to bring it up to date. after i instaled the new packman and gave it a mirror to work with i downloaded 500mb worth of files like linux3.2 and stuff like that. when it gets to instaling this stuff it tells me there are files that already exist in the filesystem. "to be expected" when i remove them and try to instal again it says my disk is full on a brand new instal of an older iso. pleas help me

sorry if this didn't flow verry well. it is late here in the us and i am a little ticked off because i know i got this to work 5 times before.

Edit

if at first you dont sucseed........skydiving isn't for you

#2 2012-02-28 05:17:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Update in VM did not work, help me

nickmarkham397 wrote:

i dont know if this has anything to do with the discussion but i realy need help

i am a noob to arch even though i have used it for the past year in a virtual box running under a windows 7 host system. it was great untill i had to upgrade to the new pacman. after a few hours of hell and reserch i got it to work and downloaded the 1.35gig of updates i needed. after this it says my root partition is full and when i rebooted my vbox it brought me to an xdm login instead of a kdm login. i got mad and reinstalled after that i reinstalled archlinux-2010.05-core-dual and tried to bring it up to date. after i instaled the new packman and gave it a mirror to work with i downloaded 500mb worth of files like linux3.2 and stuff like that. when it gets to instaling this stuff it tells me there are files that already exist in the filesystem. "to be expected" when i remove them and try to instal again it says my disk is full on a brand new instal of an older iso. pleas help me

sorry if this didn't flow verry well. it is late here in the us and i am a little ticked off because i know i got this to work 5 times before.

Edit

I just told you this sort of post was unacceptable. Repeat this sort of behaviour and you WILL be banned. Splitting off to its own thread in Newbie Corner.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-02-28 09:17:51

Gcool

For the "file exists in filesystem" errors, see here for an explanation. As for the running out of diskspace, that should be pretty obvious (create bigger partitions).

Burninate!

#4 2012-02-28 17:43:37

ksovi

how large is the vmdisk anyway? 
and for the file exists error you've already gotten the explanation. i usually just remove the file(s) and go on.

Board footer