You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-03 21:34:25

meop

[SOLVED]shutdown hangs after printing "Unmounting Non-API Filesystems"

I have checked the two other forum posts with similar issues, and I'm aware a bug was filed for one, but they were for an smb mount and nested tmpfs mount respectively.

I do not think I'm doing either one of those, yet every shutdown halts the same way. I do run smb and nfs server daemons, but nothing is mounted. I have an Intel FakeRaid setup but that has always seemed to work fine. I tried printing during the /etc/rc.d/functions umount_all function, but nothing gets printed.

I haven't changed my setup in a year, just keep updating Arch every week or so.

Here is `cat /proc/self/mounts`:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
dev /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1985784k,nr_inodes=496446,mode=755 0 0
run /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755 0 0
/dev/sdb3 / ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /boot ext2 rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1 0 0
/dev/sdb4 /opt ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/md126p1 /failsafe ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda1 /fallible ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
rpc_pipefs /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw,relatime 0 0
nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd nfsd rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

Here is `cat /etc/fstab`:

tmpfs /tmp     tmpfs  nodev,nosuid  0 0

/opt/swapfile none swap defaults 0 0

#UUID=2f8e154a-0d87-4d24-bf85-b80539126115 swap swap defaults 0 0
UUID=3553de70-9704-4995-b1ce-a88945b88169 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
UUID=4ffa797c-9b21-4e4b-97d4-d728a3b242bd / ext4 defaults 0 1
UUID=99af1b76-3b76-4844-8eaa-668266ae922d /opt ext4 defaults 0 1

LABEL=failsafe /failsafe ext4 defaults 0 2
LABEL=fallible /fallible ext4 defaults 0 2

Here is `cat /etc/rc.conf | grep DAEMONS`

# DAEMONS
DAEMONS=(dbus !acpid cpufreq syslog-ng network !netfs crond rpcbind !cdemud @cupsd !postgresql @mysqld nfs-common nfs-server @samba !ntpd !openvpn @sshd !vsftpd @tftpd @transmissiond @httpd)

How do I narrow down what is causing the hang? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by meop (2012-03-04 22:52:08)

#2 2012-03-04 19:12:55

tomegun
Developer

Re: [SOLVED]shutdown hangs after printing "Unmounting Non-API Filesystems"

I have not been able to figure this one out, so if you were able to narrow it down it would be extremely helpful.

First suggestion: You mentioned having smb running, but not used. Try disabling it. Same with nfs. If that does not help, I would be very grateful if you could try with an empty fstab (except for /) and an empty DAEMONS. This should hopefully not have the problem. If you are able to construct the MINIMAL fstab and the minimal DAEMONS for which the problem occurs, that would tell us a lot. Hopefully it should just be one daemon and/or one mount.

It would be best if you would add this info to the bug report in the bug tracker (or I'll likely lose track of it).

#3 2012-03-04 22:43:08

meop

Thank you for the suggestion; it was good advice. The problem was with the fakeraid not getting mounted properly in the first place. It is not really a bug with the shutdown logic.

I have worked around this issue before. Linux comes with /lib/udev/rules.d/64-md-raid.rules, which causes mdadm to run. This is run before dmraid, which is run in /etc/rc.sysinit. So Linux software raid takes precedence over fakeraid, and they seem to conflict. Whenever that file shows back up again, I have to move it from that directory to allow dmraid to run correctly.

If there is a cleaner way to get mdadm to still run first and not conflict with dmraid (to have two different types of raid arrays active at once) I do not know it.

#4 2012-03-09 23:38:34

tomegun
Developer

meop wrote:

I have worked around this issue before. Linux comes with /lib/udev/rules.d/64-md-raid.rules, which causes mdadm to run. This is run before dmraid, which is run in /etc/rc.sysinit. So Linux software raid takes precedence over fakeraid, and they seem to conflict. Whenever that file shows back up again, I have to move it from that directory to allow dmraid to run correctly.

I don't know the solution to your main problem, but a suggestion for the workaround: if you simply do "touch /etc/udev/rules.d/64-md-raid.rules", whatever is in /lib/udev/rules.d/64-md-raid.rules will be ignored (that way you don't have to keep deleting the file on upgrades.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve our raid/fakeraid, and the setup on which to test this stuff, that would be very welcome.

Board footer