You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-04 07:19:11

vencabot

Monitor receives no signal when switching from X to console

A system-wide update that I ran a couple of weeks ago has introduced a strange behavior to my system: after starting X, using CTRL+ALT+F2 (or any other console-switching F key) will result in my monitor going to sleep after complaining about not receiving a signal (which is my monitor's usual behavior when it doesn't receive a signal). Exiting X does the same thing, and my only options are to blind-reboot or blind start x again (at which point the monitor comes back on). This could be related to Arch's default terminal screen-blanking, which is a feature that annoyed me when I first installed Arch, but typing into the console doesn't wake my monitor the way that it used to when the console would blank out, nor did the old blanking behavior actually cause my monitor to fall asleep; it just turned the screen black. 'setterm -blank 0' does not wake the monitor.

Could this behavior have something to do with my using the proprietary 'nvidia' driver? I don't know how it could have the final say after I quit X... I'm a Linux user for many years and am pretty-well-experienced with configuring X, but I know nothing about how graphics modes are handled outside of X. If this could possibly be some kind of problem with nvidia, shouldn't there be some command that I can use to wake up the console graphics?

I'm sorry that I can't provide more information. If anybody could give me some hints regarding what logs would be helpful or what I should be looking for in the way of log entries, I'd be grateful.

-David Hernandez

This is my first post on the Arch forums, although I've lurked for a long while and have searched to solve many of my personal problems in the past. After years of going back and forth between different distributions, I tried Arch for the first time a year-or-so ago and have been a huge fan ever since. Its clean simplicity rocks the party that rocks the body, and I love pacman because that same philosophy extends to Arch's package management. Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks to the devs.

My experience with Arch has been awesome.

Board footer