You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-04 18:50:51

geoffm

regenerating initramfs

Hibernation doesn't work on my system so I'm trying to setup the suspension following instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Suspend_to_Disk
The page says to "regenerate your initramfs: "

# mkinitcpio -p linux

You need to adjust this command according to the kernel you plan to use and the name of the initramfs in the grub configuration. Anyway you should not need to modify anything in the grub configuration.

How do I ajust the command according to the kernel I want to use? I plan to use the latest one installed. And how do I know the name of the initramfs?

In my grub / menu.lst the Arch linux entry is as follow:

kernel /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda5 ro
initrd /initramfs-linux.img

So I guess the line I would enter is

mkinitcpio -p /vmlinuz-linux /initramfs-linux.img

Is this correct?

#2 2012-03-04 18:57:29

Raynman

Re: regenerating initramfs

No, it's not. Check the manpage for mkinitcpio:

-p preset
           Build initramfs image(s) according to specified preset. This may be a file in
           /etc/mkinitcpio.d (without the .preset extension) or a full, absolute path to a file.

The linux preset should be in that directory and that's the one you want for the default Arch kernel.

#3 2012-03-06 00:13:54

nomorewindows

Re: regenerating initramfs

You need to add uresume to your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf under the HOOKS section in front of the filesystem hook and then run mkinitcpio -p linux to process the new changes.

mkinitcpio -p linux is the same as
mkinitcpio -k <current kernel> -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img

That's it, the vmlinuz-linux doesn't change only the initramfs-linux.img

Last edited by nomorewindows (2012-03-06 00:15:43)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer