You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-05 13:49:59

558 jakobsson

[SOLVED] Printer problem after Pacman Syu

Edited March 10, solved, pls see last message in this thread

First of all, it could be debated if I should be concidered as Newbie after running Arch Linux for approx 3 years. After doing 3 or 4 clean installations, I understand a bit more but I still need to read the Wiki, check via Google when it comes to the technical things. 
Printer installation has never been easy but finally every time, success! But now I am stuck. I will still sleep happy if my post is moved to another group.

Printer HP Photosmart C7280, has worked under Arch Linux using same connection since long. Installed in August 2011 sometime when doing a clean Arch installation. Even worked before in earlier Arch Linux installations. Printer works under Windows that I still need to use sometimes by dualbooting.
Problems started recently after an upgrade. The problem is that the upgrade is about 90 files. I know I should have done updates more frequent. I have tried to return to a known working printerinstallation, cloned by Clonezilla. That works. But as soon as I make updates (Syy + Syu) the printerproblem returns. Cups, hplip and their needed files have been reinstalled after Syy. No luck.

Printer is connected via cable to my router, then wireless, using connection hp:/net/Photosmart_C7200_series?ip=192.168.0.5. I can ping both the router and the printer. Linux is  3.2.8-1 ( x86_64)

Installed is all the needed files as mentioned in the Cups section of the Wiki. Printer is found and installed via hplip (3.12.2-1) and HP Device Manager

HP Device Manager
Everything seems normal. I can see ink levels. I can align print heads and set it as default printer. I can check printer in my webbrowser via 192.168.0.5. This IP number is static set in my router.
But printer will not print, at least what I want it to print, and when trying to print a testpage via HP Device Manager it reports OK.

OK it prints, but only this cryptical message on four lines:
”Error:  /ioerror  in  - -colorimage--
                                                       Operand stack:
							208.52   91.52
										Execution stack:”
Maybe it is something more after Execution stack, but in case of it, this is outside of the paper.  
The figures are always the same. I have tried some times now.

Calling hp-toolbox via terminal
gives this warning: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:127: RuntimeWarning: PyOS_InputHook is not available for interactive use of PyGTK
set_interactive(1)
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
However the Device Manager opens up happily but printing gives the same error.

CUPS server in my browser
Basically gives the same error message as from HP Dev. Mgr. Differences are - - image - - instead of  - -colorimage - -, no figures at all and a small cryptical message ”%interp_exit   .run”

Installed is hplip 3.12.2-1, cups 1.5.2-1 and all other files mentioned in the Wiki. Even optional ones.
Avahi nss-mdn is installed. Avahi-daemon is running, starts via etc/rc.conf.

I/O error to me translates input/output error. When trying to print, printer starts almost at once, becames silent, message shows up that print is completed, printer gives up producing this I/O error.

I have even checked all 92 updated files for known bugs. Approx. 10 of them have bug related entries. Mostly either old or non relevant. At least to my knowledge. All files listed in this link.
www.krasaki.com/linux/files_list.txt

The following logs are checked and to best of my knowledge I cant find anything relevant. There are some errors but I do not believe they are important in this matter.

If anyone can give me a clue where to look for further info I will be glad. For the moment, thanks.
Leif Jakobsson

hp-check
Reports a lot but finalizes with NO errors NO warnings.
var/log/cups/access_log
No relevant entries. Just happy messages about printing..

/var/log/cups/error_log
No warnings or errors here.

/var/log/errors.log
errors.log:362: Mar  5 08:59:13 localhost hp[1636]: io/hpmud/jd.c 800: mdns lookup ikasark.local retry 2...
Some mdns lookup errors was reported when trying different hostnames set ON the printer. 
Using HP default "HPB8F652" in the connection string gives also this error
When using the static ip number in the connection expression there are no errors in this log.
However still no prints.

Mar  5 10:55:18 localhost dhcpcd[1154]: eth0: sendmsg: Cannot assign requested address
This error repeats after every reboot. I do not understand its relevance. I know eth0 is my ethernet card but then? 
Send msg? What message?

/var/log/kernel.log
kernel.log:7384: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI Error: 32/64X address mismatch in Gpe0Block: 0x0000F828/0x000000000001F030, using 32 (20110623/tbfadt-430)
kernel.log:7535: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    0.543382] ACPI Error: [CAPD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/dsfield-143)
kernel.log:7536: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    0.543390] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0._OSC] (Node ffff8800ba2472a8), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/psparse-536)
kernel.log:7667: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    0.630028] ACPI Error: [CAPD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/dsfield-143)
kernel.log:7668: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    0.630035] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0._OSC] (Node ffff8800ba2472a8), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/psparse-536)
kernel.log:7671: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    0.630102] ACPI Error: [CAPD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/dsfield-143)
kernel.log:7672: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    0.630108] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0._OSC] (Node ffff8800ba2472a8), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/psparse-536)
kernel.log:8047: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    5.681965] ACPI Error: [CAPD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/dsfield-143)
kernel.log:8048: Mar  5 08:54:28 localhost kernel: [    5.681974] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0._OSC] (Node ffff8800ba2472a8), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110623/psparse-536)

Now I am in muddy waters, but I do believe that ACPI Errors  are not related to my printing problems? ACPI is hardware related?

/var/log/messages.log...
Nothing related.

Last edited by 558 jakobsson (2012-03-10 23:07:11)

#2 2012-03-05 16:02:32

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Printer problem after Pacman Syu

Are you in the lp group?

groups $USER

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-03-05 16:33:23

558 jakobsson

Yes, lp and a bunch of others.. And, if I missed to write it, it worked before this upgrade. Nothing else changed..

sys lp wheel games video audio optical storage scanner power camera users  

#4 2012-03-05 17:40:15

DSpider

If you weren't in the lp group before, log out and log back in again.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-03-05 23:45:55

cfr

Is this:

gives this warning: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:127: RuntimeWarning: PyOS_InputHook is not available for interactive use of PyGTK
set_interactive(1)

because the default version of python in arch is now 3 rather than 2? This usually seems to be an issue with printer setup via the hp tools rather than printing itself, though so maybe that's not relevant here?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#6 2012-03-06 03:21:28

ewaller
Administrator

Using the CUPS printer administration interface, have you verified the model CUPS is trying to use?  My system has HPIJS and HPCUPS for your printer.  I've seen CUPS get confused on my system, try reselecting the model, or try an alternate one.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-03-07 09:37:48

558 jakobsson

ewaller wrote:

Using the CUPS printer administration interface, have you verified the model CUPS is trying to use?  My system has HPIJS and HPCUPS for your printer.  I've seen CUPS get confused on my system, try reselecting the model, or try an alternate one.

Thanks for your answer.
First, to correct my first posting in this thread, the error message connected with calling hp-toolbx from terminal, ONLY appears when doing so as root. Not as normal user. And hp-toolbox alias HP Device Manager only starts if logged in as a normal user.
As user cfr says, I do not think this is relevant but I will try to dig deeper even here. But for the moment, that will be later..

Following your advice with the Cups interface made me found what I think is an error. Perhaps not the Error...So progress is made!

Cups finds the printer and always suggests "dnssd://192.168.0.5._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/ as connection." However which connection type used does not seem to be the problem. Using the "hp:/net/Photosmart_C7200_series?ip=192.168.0.5" gives same error.
Cups have an impressive list of drivers for HP printers. For my model there are two different drivers presented in triplicates.

cups_suggested_drivers3.jpg
Why there are triplicates as shown in this image I really don't understand? But they are all of the 3.12.2 hplip version. Tested all six with no success. And this pattern of triplicates, sometimes duplicates is visible in the whole list. Maybe not relevant, only confusing.

I guess my earlier testings was not made thoroughly enough. Now, writing down every step, and checking
/var/log/errors.log I have this clear error message

io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1 error 

So I guess I found the problem, because the same error is also reported when setting up the printer via the HP Device Manager.
When trying some other models I am even more confused. Some does not give the error message but some does. The error message always comes (if it comes) when adding/deleting the printer.

But still, how to clear it?

Just to be sure nothing has "happened" to the printer, I used my Windows partition and tried the printer there again. Perfect work. So the problem is not in the printer. I have also  run pacman -Syy, pacman -Syu and reinstalled cups, hplip and all the foomatic packets.

I will wait some weeks to see if some upgrade will fix it. Otherwise I'll go for a clean installation again, especially as I have seen that my / partition is almost full.

Best rgds
Leif

#8 2012-03-07 09:39:22

558 jakobsson

cfr wrote:

Is this:

set_interactive(1)

because the default version of python in arch is now 3 rather than 2? This usually seems to be an issue with printer setup via the hp tools rather than printing itself, though so maybe that's not relevant here?

I have the same opinion as you, please se my answer to ewaller for more explanation.
Thanks and best rgds
Leif

#9 2012-03-10 23:04:01

558 jakobsson

I just want to report that my printer problems seems to be solved.
Perhaps in a drastical way, by downloading the snapshot Archlinux-2012.03.09_04-00-01-netinstall-x86_64.iso as from yesterday the 9th of March.

After some fiddling last evening with the pacman-key generation I managed to do a clean installation.
Do the pacman-key --init BEFORE you set your keyboard and start the actual installation! In the same tty please. 
I never got it to work by doing it in a second tty! 

So far I did not install Hplip, only Cups, which anyway suggests a few HP printers. Not my C7280 Photosmart. But after all reading when trying to fix the old error I have learnt that my printer is compatible with the Deskjet 960. And Deskjets were known to Cups.

So printing can resume. Inklevels can be checked visually by lifting my ... and moving some feets away!

Board footer