You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-10 03:00:25

cfr

When should grub2 be reinstalled?

I've been having hardware issues and have just reached the point of wondering what I need to redo from scratch (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1069005). I realised that this leaves me with a much more general question which I have no idea how to answer. I'm sure it must be explained somewhere but I can't find it so far.

When should grub2 be reinstalled to disk? I essentially just restored mine with rsync from backup. That is, I had a backup copy of /boot/efi which I copied back to the relevant partition on my reformatted disk. To what extent is the contents of /boot/efi/efi/grub dependent on the current state of the machine? For example, would hardware changes require grub2 to be reinstalled? (New memory, new hard drive, additional cards/interfaces...) I didn't know if this was why I'm getting complaints about the kernel memory description not matching efi's. (Though I have a feeling I've worried about this before... and there seem to be bug reports around about it on other distros, anyway...)

When is it necessary to load the efivars module and/or use efibootmgr? Is the latter only necessary if one wants to change the uefi boot menu? And is the former only necessary for installing grub2 to disk in the first place? (or reinstalling it if that's ever needed.)

Every time I tangle with this, I realise there is so much I don't understand...

Edit: It's not why I'm getting complaints about mismatching memory descriptions - I had those before everything went haywire. But I'd still like to know about the general issue here or if it is a non-issue.

Last edited by cfr (2012-03-10 03:19:22)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer