You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-10 18:24:42

MachinegunDojo

Can't see text in random text fields.

As the title says some text fields, so far only in Firefox, are the same color as the text I am typing.  Everything is fine as I am typing this out, but fields like the youtube search menu, are not.  I've seen this before when I've tried to use Linux in the past and never bothered to look into it, but now I am and I'm stumped to what the issue is.  I've tried changing my theme around to different colors thinking that would help but it hasn't.

#2 2012-03-10 23:23:20

Gcool

Re: Can't see text in random text fields.

You can change this by creating a a directory called "chrome" in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<yourprofile>/ and creating a file called "userContent.css" in that directory. You can then put the desired color/style/... changes in that file.

For a guideline, take a look here.

Example (I had black on black input fields and textareas because of my dark gtk theme):

input {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

textarea {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

Burninate!

#3 2012-03-11 00:45:38

ewaller
Administrator

MachinegunDojo wrote:

I've seen this before when I've tried to use Linux in the past and never bothered to look into it, but now I am and I'm stumped to what the issue is.

I haven't.  Tell us a bit more about your system.  What is your video chipset? What desktop environment / window manager are you using? What themes are you using? Anything else that may be unique to your system?

Last edited by ewaller (2012-03-11 00:47:23)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2012-03-11 02:36:35

kyla
Website

This is a fairly standard thing in firefox with dark gtk themes (see the wiki). I've also had it happen with gtk themes that weren't dark... Try the suggested css-based fixes.

#5 2012-03-11 14:37:26

MachinegunDojo

Fixed!  Thank you great people!  I had figured it must have something to do with themes but no matter which theme I tried I had the same issue and wasn't sure where to look for answers.  So far I only have the default themes that come with XFCE4, and to answer one question of what system I have this issue on... it's been on many systems I've had over the years and other distrobutions like ubuntu, though not all and I cannot recall all the specs.  Currently I am using the XFCE-Dusk theme on an ATi Radeon 5700 HD, though I've also run with the integrated ATi chipset on my motherboard which I cannot recall the name of as I no longer even remember what kind of hardware I am running other than processor and discreet video. It's been so long since I had the money for upgrades that I cannot even remember what socket my processor is. ugh, I miss having mo'money.

Board footer