You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-10 21:43:52

wolfdogg

wheres the old network documentation when installing from 2010 source?

wheres the old network style wiki resources for users who install from a 2010 source?  Im installing from a 2010.05 core, and it uses the old network config in rc.conf. 
example

#rc.conf
INTERFACES=(eth0)
eth0="dhcp"
gateway="default gw 192.168.1.254"
ROUTES=(!gateway)
#resolv.conf 
nameserver=8.8.8.8
nameserver=8.8.4.4

i can ping my gateway and lan members, but i cant ping 8.8.8.8, so that makes sense why i cant ping google.com

am i just not adresing all the conf files, or is this a gateway issue?  also, i couldnt get dhcp to work.  I set it that way first, it wouldnt not grab an ip.  Then once i set it static, and then back to dhcp, it reverts to the static ip either way.

[we really need a resource that shows up on a google search of "arch ROUTES(", or "arch ROUTES(!gateway)", or "arch INTERFACES=" because if users only have access to an older install source (i left my newer source at work, doh), we want them to be up and running, and updated right away]

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-03-10 22:11:16)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2012-03-10 21:49:20

karol
Archivist

Re: wheres the old network documentation when installing from 2010 source?

Why would you use such an old image?
Both the wiki and git have history: http://projects.archlinux.org/initscrip … fa89914be2

#3 2012-03-10 21:52:35

wolfdogg

haha, i edited my post as to the reason, look again.  i didnt feel like downloading and burning a newer image, i already have 2 copies, one has some kind of boot error(its a dual architecture), and the other is on my desk at work.  And i have a few older versions here, thought i would just update it right away, but next time i wont do this because i realize how many things have been updated on this thinking back. 

Thank you much Karol!

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-03-10 21:53:17)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#4 2012-03-10 21:54:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

wolfdogg wrote:

we really need a resource that shows up on a google search of "arch ROUTES(", or "arch ROUTES(!gateway)", or "arch INTERFACES=" because if users only have access to an older install source (i left my newer source at work, doh), we want them to be up and running, and updated right away]

No. Arch is a rolling release. The documentation should be current, not a confusing mishmash of what works now and what worked two years ago...

And as karol points out, the wiki has a complete history.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2012-03-10 21:56:11

wolfdogg

ok so i already have my network setup like that, and i tried many other ways, still, no cigar. is there any other conf files that im not thinking about that i might need to look at?

also, can i try the newer way of setting up that network in the conf file, or is that not supported i assume?
what i mean by this is

interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
gateway=

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-03-10 21:56:33)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#6 2012-03-10 21:59:02

karol
Archivist

wolfdogg wrote:

[we really need a resource that shows up on a google search of "arch ROUTES(", or "arch ROUTES(!gateway)", or "arch INTERFACES=" because if users only have access to an older install source (i left my newer source at work, doh), we want them to be up and running, and updated right away]

Patches welcome :-)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … did=111704 - it's not pretty, but you can look at the code:

==Networking==
* {{Codeline|[[HOSTNAME]]}}: Set this to the hostname of the machine, without the domain part. This is totally your choice, as long as you stick to letters, digits and a few common special characters like the dash. Don't be too creative here, though, and when in doubt, use the default.
* {{Codeline|INTERFACES}}: Here you define the settings for your networking interfaces. The default lines and the included comments explain the setup well enough. If you do not use DHCP to configure a device, just keep in mind that the value of the variable (whose name must be equal to the name of the device which is supposed to be configured) equals the line which would be appended to the {{Codeline|ifconfig}} command if you were to configure the device manually in the shell.
* {{Codeline|ROUTES}}: You can define your own static network routes with arbitrary names here. Look at the example for a default gateway to get the idea. Basically the quoted part is identical to what you'd pass to a manual route add command, therefore reading man route is recommended if you don't know what to write here, or simply leave this alone.
* {{Codeline|NETWORKS}}: This enables certain [[network profiles]] at boot-up. Network profiles provide a convenient way of managing multiple network configurations, and are intended to replace the standard {{Codeline|INTERFACES}}/{{Codeline|ROUTES}} setup that is still recommended for systems with only one network configuration. If your computer will be connecting to various networks at various times (e.g., a laptop) then you can configure profiles in the {{Filename|/etc/network.d}} directory. There are template files included in {{Filename|/etc/network.d/examples}} that can be used to create new profiles.

Remember to read all the news back to mid-2010: http://www.archlinux.org/news/

#7 2012-03-10 22:00:04

wolfdogg

jasonwryan wrote:
wolfdogg wrote:

we really need a resource that shows up on a google search of "arch ROUTES(", or "arch ROUTES(!gateway)", or "arch INTERFACES=" because if users only have access to an older install source (i left my newer source at work, doh), we want them to be up and running, and updated right away]

No. Arch is a rolling release. The documentation should be current, not a confusing mishmash of what works now and what worked two years ago...

And as karol points out, the wiki has a complete history.

yes thank you.  i guess the issue is, it wasnt showing up on google when i was searching for this info, and newer users certainly wouldnt know where to look.  can we put a link and a note on the home page to this resource for users that are trying to get their foot in the door and updated to the latest release?   

Ponder for a moment that a user has an older copy of arch laying around, and they wipe out their hard drive to install it, and now they are stuck off the internet on that machine and cant update.  Now they go to computer 2 wanting to simply access documentation to get the network up and running, instead of downloading, burning, then reconfiguring the harddrives, and reinstalling, and reconfiguring the conf files again.    Thats why i thought it would be easiest just to grab an older resource doc to help get it online, then update out of this mess. :-)

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-03-10 22:01:45)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#8 2012-03-10 22:02:02

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

wolfdogg wrote:

the newer way of setting up that network in the conf file, or is that not supported i assume?

How could it be supported? You have to configure it for the packages on that disk.

If you cant' burn a new disk, can you install from USB?

You will save yourself so much hassle by doing so. Even if you get network access on the old disk and start to upgrade, you're going to have to manually step through all of the changes mentioned on the front page news.  I think that includes 2 major pacman updates.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#9 2012-03-10 22:02:30

Gusar

The amount of issues you'll hit trying to update that old thing, is it really worth it? The netinstall images are 200MB, that's not that much to download and it'll save you a lot, and I really mean *a lot* of headaches.

#10 2012-03-10 22:04:56

karol
Archivist

wolfdogg wrote:

Ponder for a moment that a user has an older copy of arch laying around, and they wipe out their hard drive to install it, and now they are stuck off the internet on that machine and cant update.  Now they go to computer 2 wanting to simply access documentation to get the network up and running, instead of downloading, burning, then reconfiguring the harddrives, and reinstalling, and reconfiguring the conf files again.    Thats why i thought it would be easiest just to grab an older resource to get it online, then update out of this mess.

Arch is for experienced users, I guess they should be able to use the wiki history to help themselves.

Or they could start again with the latest netinstall images.

#11 2012-03-10 22:07:12

wolfdogg

ok, i think i learned my lesson.  because it sounds worse than i thought it was.
its funny, beacuse the first install, i accidentally installed the bootloader on /dev/sda, and it wouldnt boot, i tried to rewrite it, and i even tried to chroot and rewrite it, but to no avail.  so i had to reinstall and get it on /dev/sda1 (boot), now im facing network issues.  I guess i will have to install it a 3rd time, but this time to a new release. 

i have 7MB/s, so i guess ill just download another copy.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#12 2012-03-10 22:10:01

wolfdogg

karol wrote:

Arch is for experienced users, I guess they should be able to use the wiki history to help themselves.
Or they could start again with the latest netinstall images.

well im an experienced user, but i have never really explored the history tab, which now i know what its for.  its always a learning experience.  im starting to think logic is my weak point.  So if you don't mind helping me in that area, I should be good.  hehe.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#13 2012-03-10 22:15:31

karol
Archivist

wolfdogg wrote:

im starting to think logic is my weak point.

wolfdogg wrote:

i have 7MB/s, so i guess ill just download another copy.

If I were in such situation, I'd simply download the damn image and didn't bother posting here ;P
Downloading, burning, disc formating etc. it's almost exclusively computer time. Posting and reading replies takes my time. I'm using Arch 'cause I'm lazy and things just work around here, if done properly.

#14 2012-03-10 22:47:16

wolfdogg

whoosh, are you sure you enjoy modding the boards?  I did a net install, first time.  by manually setting the ip during the netinstall config, it was able to get online no problem, where dhcp still didnt work.  for some reason dhcp was issuing the ip, but the handshake, or lease never happened.  I like this net install.  pacman -Syyu wont have to update so many things after this i assume, as compared to the 2011.08.19.150 release

thank you for your valuable time Karol!  And everyone else.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-03-10 22:49:00)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#15 2012-03-10 22:55:10

karol
Archivist

wolfdogg wrote:

thank you for your valuable time Karol!  And everyone else.

Just to make sure I didn't get misunderstood, by saying

karol wrote:

Posting and reading replies takes my time.

I meant that if I were in your situation, I would simply try to netinstall because it's faster than posting and asking for help. I didn't mean that you're somehow wasting my time (it's not like somebody forces me to come here).

#16 2012-03-10 23:05:42

wolfdogg

no problems. 

you know, i really struggled with this install, because i went through THREE hard drives. 

I had a brand new system installed and completely configured for the end user with kde and all on HD#1 which was a SATA.  Then i was having a problem on my other system (my server) with a failing hard drive and needed this hard drive.  So i put another hard drive in here, and tried cp -a and ran into a LONG mess, that never worked, so i just reinstalled it onto HD#2 IDE. Then, i backed into the computer with my office chair, and the tower fell back onto its side, and wham, that hard drive was broke. I have never seen this before, but the drive wouldn't respond on boot, but when booted with a LIVECD the file structure looked fine. Then i installed onto HD#3 IDE last night, but i left my install CD at work so had to use an old distro. Now i have to reinstall for about a 5th or 6th time on this PC.  what a mess. So i kind of needed some help at this point since i was getting either desperate, or pissed. So its been a long run, about 2 weeks in total.

Does the word Ziggy orBorn Loser come to mind? Hehe.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-03-10 23:08:25)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer