You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-11 20:42:19

Ness

[SOLVED] Blank screen after SLiM login

Hello everyone, I'm very new to Arch as of a few days ago and I have been attempting to set it up in just about all the free time I can spare. I think I've spent about 20 hours total trying to get things up and running.

I am attempting to run Arch with LXDE, openbox, and SLiM. I finally managed to get SLiM up and running where I can login without receiving any errors. However, after I try to login I'm brought to a blank screen. Now.. I'm new to this and have followed all the Knowledge Base Documentation on how to get these three running but I guess apparently I'm missing something somewhere...

Keep in mind I have to type this manually as I do not have any Internet program installed. Maybe if someone can point out my error or make an additional recommendation, that would be great. I really hope I'm not asking too much, even a link to something that may help I would greatly appreciate.

I'm pretty sure it's something stupid I'm missing.. again, I've read through the Knowledge Base Documents numerous times and simply cannot find out what I'm doing wrong (I have the ATI Open Source driver installed).

~/.xinitrc (I have this setup for ~/ and /home | this is also set as executable)

#!/bin/sh

#~/.xinitrc
#exec ck-laungh-session dbus-launch openbox-session
login_cmd exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --edit-with-session /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

/etc/rc.conf (skipped to the DAEMONS section)

DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng network netfs crond slim)

If you need any more information I'd be glad to provide it if anyone is willing to help..

Thank you.

EDIT: Fixed typos..

Just another note. I can see my mouse after I login from SLiM and if I press alt+ctrl with any arrow key I can see the workspaces window pop up.

Last edited by Ness (2012-03-11 22:19:06)

#2 2012-03-11 21:07:28

loafer

Re: [SOLVED] Blank screen after SLiM login

The command in .xinitrc is what should be in slim.conf.  If you are using LXDE then "exec startlxde" in .xinitrc should be enough as long as slim.conf is configured as specified in the Wiki.

edit:  You are not starting dbus in rc.conf.

Last edited by loafer (2012-03-11 21:11:31)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2012-03-11 21:17:57

Ness

loafer, thank you very much for your assistance.

I edited my ~/.xinitrc and /etc/slim.conf to both include "startlxde" and now I at least have a wallpaper that displays when I log in which is great. Still nothing else yet, but I'm getting there..

I'm going to play around with this for a bit to see if I can get other things to work as well (as in the panels and whatnot). If you have any other recommendations or sources to forward me to regarding this would be much appreciated.

#4 2012-03-11 21:28:03

loafer

Just to be clear slim.conf should contain the following with no reference to lxde.

login_cmd exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --edit-with-session /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session 

.xinitrc should contain:

exec startlxde 

And ensure that dbus is in rc.conf.  Place it after netfs.

EDIT:  Please note that you have also got "--edit-with-session" rather than "--exit-with-session".

Last edited by loafer (2012-03-11 21:35:23)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#5 2012-03-11 21:35:22

Ness

loafer wrote:

Just to be clear slim.conf should contain the following with no reference to lxde.

.xinitrc should contain:

exec startlxde 

And ensure that dbus is in rc.conf.  Place it after netfs.

I made the changes you suggested, now what happens is when I login to SLiM with my end-user, the screen goes black for a moment, then right back to the login screen.

EDIT: changed "--exit-with-session" to "--edit-with-session" in /etc/slim.conf

EDIT 2:

Is the ~/.xinitrc supposed to be setup like..

login_cmd exec startlxde ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --edit-with-session /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

or is it simply supposed to be

exec startlxde

Hope I'm not asking too much.. I just don't want a broken system..

EDIT 3: Apparently it's "horrible typo day" for me. I had --exit-with-session before. I just typed it wrong in my post. Changed it back.

Last edited by Ness (2012-03-11 21:47:19)

#6 2012-03-11 21:50:19

Ness

I edited my post above quite a few times due to my typo errors. My apologies.

EDIT: I referenced the ~/.xinitrc wiki to set it up better. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Ness (2012-03-11 21:58:32)

#7 2012-03-11 22:18:36

Ness

Yay! It's all working now after I configured things with your guidance and from the wiki.

Thank you very very very very much for your help. smile

Marked as Solved.

#8 2012-05-20 04:28:34

AyeCapn

I just got this issue, and have fixed it as well. Just so we are absolutely clear, the parameter in slim.conf for dbus-launch:

CORRECT:  --exit-with-session

INCORRECT: --edit-with-session

using the incorrect method loops you back to the login screen, rather than launching the session.

"I just don't know what went wrong" - Derpy

Board footer