You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-13 20:50:37

Piki

[Solved] Strange sound issue

I finally got around to trying out Arch, and I'm having a strange issue with sound. When I try to play videos off the Internet as my normal (non-root) user, the video plays, but no sound comes out of the speakers. If I log in as root and try to play the same video, the sound works perfectly. I have not experienced this on any other distros.

Since I am a strict follower of the "don't run as root" rule, I'd like to know if there are any settings/config files I can check to see what the issue may be.

Additional details:
-Using alsa, it has always worked perfectly for me in the past
-alsamixer works as root
-alsamixer as normal users says:
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
-lspci entry for my sound device:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
-I have already seen the Alsa setup page on the wiki and added the blacklist line to modprobe.conf, but there is no "external amplifier" listed in alsamixer
-alsaconf seems non-existent
-I have already tried "modprobe -rv snd-hda-intel && sleep 5 && modprobe snd-hda-intel" as root

EDIT: I have not yet tried playing any local videos or sound files, though I can try this later when I have some extra time.

Last edited by Piki (2012-03-14 00:06:43)

--
Piki
"Many people have died for their beliefs. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe in." Brom, character in 'Eragon' by Christopher Paolini

#2 2012-03-13 21:20:51

6ng4n

Re: [Solved] Strange sound issue

Does your user in "audio" group?

#3 2012-03-14 00:03:35

Piki

Re: [Solved] Strange sound issue

6ng4n wrote:

Does your user in "audio" group?

I am now ;-)

I've got sound now that I am. I'm used to having the distro installer setting up my default account for me. Although I should know to check the groups, since I have had to setup custom users before ;-)

Thanks, 6ng4n.

--
Piki
"Many people have died for their beliefs. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe in." Brom, character in 'Eragon' by Christopher Paolini

Board footer