You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-13 22:29:57

iskandr

[SOLVED] crash while using alacarte broke my Gnome3

Hello fellow archers,

I have a strange problem, which I can't seem to solve on my own.
Yesterday I tried to clean up my Gnome3 applications menu by using Alacarte.
However, while removing some appilcation entries in alacarte, Gnome suddenly crashed
and I was returned to gdm. Since then, every attempt to log into Gnome3 again has failed
and immediately returns me to gdm with the "Oops,something went wrong" error message.
I tried reinstalling gnome, gnome-shell and gdm as well as removing alacarte, but the problem persists.

Has anyone had a similiar problem before or can anyone possibly guess what the crash of
alacarte (not run as root or with sudo) may have broken in my installation?

I would provide log-files, however, I'm not very experienced in working with log files, so I don't know
what exactly to look for. Thank you.

Last edited by iskandr (2012-03-13 23:00:27)

#2 2012-03-13 22:44:13

oboedad55

Re: [SOLVED] crash while using alacarte broke my Gnome3

iskandr wrote:

Hello fellow archers,

I have a strange problem, which I can't seem to solve on my own.
Yesterday I tried to clean up my Gnome3 applications menu by using Alacarte.
However, while removing some appilcation entries in alacarte, Gnome suddenly crashed
and I was returned to gdm. Since then, every attempt to log into Gnome3 again has failed
and immediately returns me to gdm with the "Oops,something went wrong" error message.
I tried reinstalling gnome, gnome-shell and gdm as well as removing alacarte, but the problem persists.

Has anyone had a similiar problem before or can anyone possibly guess what the crash of
alacarte (not run as root or with sudo) may have broken in my installation?

I would provide log-files, however, I'm not very experienced in working with log files, so I don't know
what exactly to look for. Thank you.

Do you have any extensions installed? In my experience it is usually extensions that cause gnome to crash. You could start by disabling all extensions. If that works re-enable them one by one until you discover which one is causing problems.

Registered Linux user #436067

#3 2012-03-13 22:49:44

iskandr

oboedad55 wrote:

Do you have any extensions installed? In my experience it is usually extensions that cause gnome to crash. You could start by disabling all extensions. If that works re-enable them one by one until you discover which one is causing problems.

I had, but disabling them all was the first thing I tried when gnome kept crashing. Without success.
I think the problem is definitely related to the crash of alacarte, since I never had any real problems with gnome up to the moment it happended.

#4 2012-03-13 22:59:36

iskandr

I just solved the problem myself by removing the folder ~/.config/menus which alacarte seems to have created. Strange, that files in this folder caused gnome to crash. Anyways, thanks for your help.

#5 2012-03-13 23:03:22

oboedad55

iskandr wrote:

I just solved the problem myself by removing the folder ~/.config/menus which alacarte seems to have created. Strange, that files in this folder caused gnome to crash. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Glad you got it solved. Please mark the thread as "solved" so others who search will see the solution.

Missed you marking it, disregard...

Last edited by oboedad55 (2012-03-13 23:07:04)

Registered Linux user #436067

Board footer