You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-16 06:05:08

Eye4anIrony

[SOLVED] Linux-ck: Beneficial in my case?

Hello all,

I'm reading up for my first arch build, and I was hoping for some clarification on the benefits of the ck1/bfs route. Of course, "interactivity" and "responsiveness" across all loads sounds desirable, but for now I'm focused on raw floating-point performance, and I'm willing to sacrifice functionality to get it.

I'm particularly intrigued by the Optimized Compiler Packages, and so far I haven't come across an equivalent customization for the mainline kernel installation. Does linux-ck really collect more specific information than a mainline install? If so, how does this enhance functionality for, say, a Core2 Q6600?

I'm hesitant because Maximizing Performance#CPU references some very tepid benchmarking results on LKML.

Of course, if there are no definite gains for my numerical purposes, I'd rather keep it simple.

My guess is there are angles I'm still missing.

Your two cents are most graciously received, as are links to more information about this decision.

Last edited by Eye4anIrony (2012-03-16 10:53:02)

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning, but imagination.  -  A. De Morgan

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to yearn for the endless immensity of the sea.  -  Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#2 2012-03-16 09:36:59

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Linux-ck: Beneficial in my case?

See the benchmarks I posted on repo-ck.com comparing the ck patch set against mainline.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-03-16 10:35:59

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

run benchmarks with stock kernel, compile and switch to -ck, run same benchmarks, compre result, ???, PROFIT!

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2012-03-16 10:51:18

Eye4anIrony

Thanks! That sheds a lot of light on the decision.

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning, but imagination.  -  A. De Morgan

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to yearn for the endless immensity of the sea.  -  Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#5 2012-03-16 11:47:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It is quite easy to have multiple kernels installed.  I have the "stock" arch kernel and linux-ck, each with their own grub entry.  No harm in trying them both out and seeing which works best for your particular circumstances.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer