You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-13 16:40:40

Gullible Jones

How to get DRI working perfectly with ProSavage hardware...

... Or, why I am now in debt to Dan Gray.

Very simple:

1. Go to dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots and download the latest common and savage snapshots.

2. Put the common and savage snapshots in the same directory, then unzip them in that order. Enter the dripkg directory thus formed and run the install script.

(Note that your kernel must have DRM compiled AS A MODULE,
NOT as part of the kernel! If DRM is compiled into the kernel, the drm and savage modules installed in this step will not load properly.)

3. Put 'Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"' in the Screen section of your xorg.conf, as shown below:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Step #3 seems to be very important for some chipsets, such as P4M266. Without the "IgnoreEDID" option set to "false", your display will be screwed up beyond recognition.

Note that DRI works perfectly with 24-bit color. Using 16-bit color is not necessary, although it will increase performance significantly.

Also, please note that performance on Tuxracer and other such games will still be craptacular.

Happy... erm... DRIing? Uh... yeah... whatever... lol

Edit: to clear up the business about Dan Gray, the reason I mentioned him was because it was in his xorg.conf that I found the setting for "IgnoreEDID".

Edit again: removed references to the Xorg binary from dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/extra. As of XOrg 6.8.2, it is not necessary.

#2 2005-07-14 02:22:02

Gullible Jones

Re: How to get DRI working perfectly with ProSavage hardware...

Hmm... This is interesting. Apparently, I can set IgnoreEDID to "true" without getting my display screwed up. Maybe what's important is just that it's set at all?

#3 2005-12-08 02:44:06

Gullible Jones

Re: How to get DRI working perfectly with ProSavage hardware...

You might just want to wait until XOrg 7, that will be out later this month and will include (somewhat improved) Savage drivers by default.

Board footer