You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-17 20:30:22

av

New username for /home keepers? [Solved]

Having recently migrated to Arch, I'm currently in the process of studying every single thing that's been written about it.
During one of my subresearches, I read that if someone decides to keep their /home partition when reinstalling Arch,
they will necessarily have to pick a new username or there will be problems with some processes.

Is that true? And if so, won't picking a different username make it difficult to "control" /home?

Last edited by av (2012-03-18 11:31:55)

#2 2012-03-17 20:44:01

/dev/zero

Re: New username for /home keepers? [Solved]

Please provide a reference.

#3 2012-03-17 20:50:50

SS4

Usually it's due to distro specific dotfiles. Eg ~/.config/openbox

Rauchen verboten

#4 2012-03-17 20:58:12

Meyithi
Website

Just rename the old folder and use the same username, you can test and copy configs across then at will and when satisfied scrap the old folder.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#5 2012-03-17 21:06:34

av

/dev/zero wrote:

Please provide a reference.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 26#p508126

Offtopic: Funny thing, I had read that article that you've got in you signature about Linux NOT being Windows, when I first installed Linux.
I had even sent the link to a friend of mine, he most probably just ignored me but still. Fate and such..

#6 2012-03-17 21:07:06

av

Don'tknowhowtomultiquote, SS4:  So I only have to do this if I change distro? And if that's the case, will everything else be alright?
Cause I had also read that keeping /home when changing distros may result in a different kind of problems.
But please don't ask me for reference on that too, cause I will just drown in my browser's History.

Again, Meyithi:  Actually I want to ask the same thing; whether or not I should do this even if I reinstall the same distro.
Cause I think I'm going to stick with Arch.

Last edited by av (2012-03-17 21:10:32)

#7 2012-03-17 21:36:28

/dev/zero

I see. The way I interpret cerbie's remark is that in fact it is not necessary to pick a new username. Cerbie's experience suggested to him or her that you're better off starting with a fresh home each time; but it's not necessary. And I agree. However, I don't agree that it's necessary to choose a new username, provided you keep the old /home separate, and migrate configs and documents over manually, as others have suggested.

As you guessed, gifting your old files to a different username could lead to complications. I doubt it would break anything that couldn't be easily fixed, but OTOH why make life harder than it needs to be?

av wrote:

Offtopic: Funny thing, I had read that article that you've got in you signature about Linux NOT being Windows, when I first installed Linux.
I had even sent the link to a friend of mine, he most probably just ignored me but still. Fate and such..

lol, fate? The Rootless Root is also worth reading ;-).

#8 2012-03-17 22:48:56

azleifel

I must say that I've never had a problem reusing home directories, though I've only ever installed Arch three times.  Keep /home on a separate partition and recreate any users in the order in which they were originally created, to ensure that they have the same GID, using useradd without the -m switch.  The alternative is to restore /etc/group* and /etc/shadow* from backup.

#9 2012-03-18 11:31:26

av

/dev/zero wrote:

I see. The way I interpret cerbie's remark is that in fact it is not necessary to pick a new username. Cerbie's experience suggested to him or her that you're better off starting with a fresh home each time; but it's not necessary. And I agree. However, I don't agree that it's necessary to choose a new username, provided you keep the old /home separate, and migrate configs and documents over manually, as others have suggested.

As you guessed, gifting your old files to a different username could lead to complications. I doubt it would break anything that couldn't be easily fixed, but OTOH why make life harder than it needs to be?

av wrote:

lol, fate? The Rootless Root is also worth reading ;-).

Damn. I don't know much about how these things work and, as you probably noticed, I don't even know how posting on forums works (...) so please bear with me. I thought: the username that we're talking about and the root user that I thought he was talking about, need to be the exact same thing -> he had new ones created -> he had copied some config files prior to the reinstallation and, later on, replaced the new ones with them after the system was installed. My wild imagination strikes again..

Ha, I already bookmarked it! I always bookmark thousands of pages and then, at some point, read them all together to make room for the new ones. I even read them simultaneously, at times. And I obviously end up misunderstanding every little thing about them, as pictured above, yes..

azleifel wrote:

I must say that I've never had a problem reusing home directories, though I've only ever installed Arch three times.  Keep /home on a separate partition and recreate any users in the order in which they were originally created, to ensure that they have the same GID, using useradd without the -m switch.  The alternative is to restore /etc/group* and /etc/shadow* from backup.

So multiquoting was that easy.. Thank you very much for the helpful tips, I wrote them down and am looking forward to newbily crash my system so that I will be able to finally apply all that /home stuff that I keep reading about.

Thank you all for the replies. /dev/zero, keep it up.

Board footer