You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-18 10:56:06

scjet
Banned

[semi-FIXED]Errors with "AIF" in (daily) releng netinstall iso's ?

Hello,
I've ran into a couple issues with aif, but mostly, (see "2./" below) - very successful ones smile

1./ [still not fixed...?]
I recently tried an "aif -p interactive" on some of the latest netinstall images from http://releng.archlinux.org/isos/, and I get an error:
"ERROR: ask_checklist makes only sense if you specify at least 1 thing (tag,item and ON/OFF switch)"
Also, if I try with the "aif -p automatic ...." it spews out the same errors along with "FATAL: Module aes-586 not found..." ?
I also built a successful build of netinstall using the "archiso" build scripts, but with the same errors/results as above, when attemping to use "AIF" ?
Are these errors due to some core src's that aif needs on these newer kernels/images/builds/installs that may be (aif) is out of date ?
[EDIT] -> Oh and yes, not to mention all the "pacman -key --init --whatever" headaches that prevent users from successfully implementing a simple "Netinstall", from the latest "releng's", without complicated script-hacking.   ... here, why don't you "sign this !!!" smile
NOTE: I do NOT get any of these above errors with "aif", if I use the official  Archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-*.iso.

2./ [FIXED] -(see below posts).
But more importantly right now, (and becuase of the issues with "1./" above), I am using the "archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-dual.iso" and I can successfuly customize/install my Arch setup using the "AIF" that is on it.
Here is what I've successfully done so far, regarding my archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall...iso:
I have customized the below aif modular scripts to suit my needs:
"/usr/lib/aif/core/procedures/automatic"
"/usr/lib/aif/core/libs/lib-ui-interactive.sh"
I also have my own config files and scripts that I incorporate within the aif netinstall that I want to place into a "customized"->"archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall...iso"

At present, right after I boot an archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall image, I simply mount an external usb-stick, that has all my custom files,..., and copy them over to "/", prior to running my "aif -p automatic -c scripts/my_install_scrpt.bash"
Of course, this is a not a very "automated" approach, BUT, when it's finished and rebooted, I end up with a completely perfect-up-to-date-latest Arch system. (aka "pacman -Syu" and there is nuthin' to do !, which is all that I want). smile

So basically, is there a way to "rebuild/replicate/remaster" that original archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall....iso/image, but also WITH my above files and modifications burnt onto a single/replaced  archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall.iso, ... ?

Thanks much.

Last edited by scjet (2012-03-21 16:01:06)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#2 2012-03-18 11:41:54

scjet
Banned

Re: [semi-FIXED]Errors with "AIF" in (daily) releng netinstall iso's ?

oops sry,
I just saw this regarding "Remastering...", https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Re … nstall_ISO
I'll give a try, and get back  wink

[EDIT] -> wow, that archlinux wiki mentioned above regarding "Remastering_the_Install_ISO" is horribly outdated, so that did not work for me.

Is there not any way to "remaster" our official "ARCH_201108" Install/Netinstall .iso's ?

Last edited by scjet (2012-03-18 20:03:08)

#3 2012-03-18 15:04:05

karol
Archivist

OP just got a response (no solutions yet) on the ML, so I'm posting a link to that thread: http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 02429.html

#4 2012-03-18 16:24:16

scjet
Banned

karol wrote:

OP just got a response (no solutions yet) on the ML, so I'm posting a link to that thread: http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 02429.html

Ok, thankyou for the heads up.

#5 2012-03-18 17:21:36

scjet
Banned

... continuing on, I tried;

1./  I mounted the "archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-x86_64.iso" in a loop; then copied its contents to "/customiso"
2./ then, used "unsquashfs root-image.fs.sfs"; mounted .../root-image.fs, added my above modifications/scripts and re-squashed it with "mksquashfs" and copied it back over to /customiso...

here are the final steps that I did, which at first glance appeared to wotk fine:
(also I noted that "...the iso label must be the same as the one from the original ISO (in the old case ARCH_201005) or otherwise the image will not work..." ? I'not sure this still applies with 2011.08 .iso's, but I assumed the label was indeed "ARCH_201108".

cd /customiso
genisoimage -l -r -J -V "ARCH_201108" -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -c isolinux/boot.cat -o ~/arch-custom.iso /customiso
----- output -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
  4.79% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:24 2012
  9.55% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:24 2012
 14.34% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:30 2012
 19.10% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:29 2012
 23.89% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:28 2012
 28.65% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:27 2012
 33.44% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:26 2012
 38.20% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:26 2012
 42.99% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:26 2012
 47.76% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:26 2012
 52.54% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 57.31% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 62.09% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 66.86% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 71.63% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 76.42% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 81.18% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 85.97% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 90.73% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
 95.52% done, estimate finish Sun Mar 18 12:57:25 2012
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 6950
Total directory bytes: 23002
Path table size(bytes): 118
Max brk space used 27000
104701 extents written (204 MB)
--------------- end of output ------------------------------------------

then, I inserted my favourite usb-schtick and ran:

dd if=arch-custom.iso of=/dev/sdc

Summarily, all appeared to work well but it does NOT even boot into my "arch-custom.iso"  sad

Anyone have any ideas in these regards ?
Thanks again.

Last edited by scjet (2012-03-18 19:52:16)

#6 2012-03-18 19:56:24

JokerBoy

remove

#SigLevel = PackageRequired

between all

[*repo_name*]

and 

Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

from your /etc/pacman.conf.
this is list_possible_repos related @ core/libs/lib-pacman.sh

Also, don't forget to add

echo "SigLevel = Never" >> /tmp/pacman.conf 

to /usr/lib/aif/core/libs/lib-pacman.sh @ target_prepare_pacman after

echo "Architecture = auto" >> /tmp/pacman.conf

since signing is disabled by default in /etc/pacman.conf but when you are installing /tmp/pacman.conf is used, so without this line the install packages step will fail. feel free to fill a bug report.

Last edited by JokerBoy (2012-03-18 20:12:11)

#7 2012-03-18 20:04:58

scjet
Banned

ok, thanks @JokerBoy, I'll definitely check that out again later, although I don't fully understand what that has to do with a remaster of an existing official 2011-08-netinstall with NO pkg updates ?
I'll remount the official netinstall...., and check the files you mentioned,... ?
Sry, but not quite sure how what you mentioned will actually "FIX" what I need alone?
thx anyway though.

Last edited by scjet (2012-03-18 20:18:06)

#8 2012-03-19 08:19:31

scjet
Banned

JokerBoy wrote:

remove

#SigLevel = PackageRequired

between all

[*repo_name*]

and 

Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

from your /etc/pacman.conf.
this is list_possible_repos related @ core/libs/lib-pacman.sh

Also, don't forget to add

echo "SigLevel = Never" >> /tmp/pacman.conf 

to /usr/lib/aif/core/libs/lib-pacman.sh @ target_prepare_pacman after

echo "Architecture = auto" >> /tmp/pacman.conf

since signing is disabled by default in /etc/pacman.conf but when you are installing /tmp/pacman.conf is used, so without this line the install packages step will fail. feel free to fill a bug report.

ok, I will try this on the (daily)releng netinstalls, as well as on a new(Archiso) build netinstal...
ty.
[EDIT]: As I suspected your above suggestions did NOT work, in fact, they spewed out the same errors as in (see my Top post) #"1./" above.
I have no idea why you would have me attempt your above suggestions. ?
Please READ (on my Top Post here) #"2./." above, and right to the end of the post, to understand exactly what I need to do, at this point.
I couldn't possibly explain this any better.  I appreciate you response somewhat, but it is NOT what I needed.  -thx.

Last edited by scjet (2012-03-19 10:26:59)

#9 2012-03-19 13:51:42

JokerBoy

Ok, nothing to do here..

Regarding my suggestions, those "edits" are required in order to have a proper archlinux instalation.
1) the ask_checklist error it's caused by the function list_possible_repos in /usr/lib/aif/core/libs/lib-pacman.sh, 'cause the function it's unable to detect the repo's name due to flag -B 1 to grep.
2) regarding the second suggestion, you will be unable to install signed packages without running pacman-key --init first, so it's a must.

good luck, you are on your own. smile

#10 2012-03-19 14:22:22

scjet
Banned

[FIXED]: (Using outdated genisoimage Method) -> Please use the newer "[FIXED]: (Using "newer" xorriso/mkarchiso Method) :" -see below.
(Either way, all the below worked in my case).

Ok, well the #"2/."(see Top post) is FIXED for now, using this so-called "outdated" https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Re … nstall_ISO  wink
However, luckily, "Remastering" an official "archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-x86_64.iso" only requires a couple things:
1./ you need to LABEL it properly,if you want to use a USB(see below instructions)
2./ The output .iso ONLY works by burning it to a CD/DVD.
3./ ...to make this *.iso installable via a USB...(see below).

Here is what I did to re-build the official "archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-x86_64.iso" into an automated system(which also includes all my above modifications), exactly the way I wanted it to be, as in #"2./" on top post, (and with no need to chroot):

# as root for everything:
mkdir /mnt/archiso
mkdir /mnt/root-image-tmp
mkdir /root-image
#
mount -o loop /iso/archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-x86_64.iso /mnt/archiso
cp -a /mnt/archiso /customiso
cd /customiso/arch/x86_64
cp root-image.fs.sfs /root-image
cd /root-image
unsquashfs root-image.fs.sfs
cd squashfs-root
mount root-image.fs /mnt/root-image-tmp
#
# "cd /mnt/root-image-tmp" and make any "static" changes only; ie: add your aif configs/files, directories,..., to /mnt/root-image-tmp ...
#
cd /
umount /mnt/root-image-tmp
cd /root-image
mv root-image.fs.sfs root-image.fs.sfs.old
mksquashfs squashfs-root root-image.fs.sfs
cp -f root-image.fs.sfs /customiso/arch/x86_64
cd /customiso
genisoimage -l -r -J -V "ARCH_201108" -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -c isolinux/boot.cat -o ~/arch-custom.iso .

# Note: You can now burn your "arch-custom.iso" to a CD/DVD, and it'll work oob,  but NOT a usb-stick.... If you want your *.iso on a USB-stick follow below.
"...if installing the image into a usb/pen drive with unetbootin remember also that the label of the pen drive partition must be ARCH_201108. "
Actually, get unetbootin-git (from AUR), and you'll also need "mtools", then fdisk your usb for fat32...

# you'll need to be root for all this
mkfs.vfat /dev/sd[x]1
mount /dev/sd[s]1 /media/ARCH_201108
# fire up unetbootin and burn your .iso to your USB -> /dev/sd[x]1 partition.
# finally, you need to label it
umount /media/ARCH_201108
echo mtools_skip_check=1 >> ~/.mtoolsrc
mlabel -i /dev/sd[x]1 ::ARCH_201108

If you setup you AIF properly, you'll end up with an "update-free" clean system.
-when it's done, there is NO NEED to run "pacman-key --init first", or any "udev" issues, or chasing after *.pacnew/.pacsave/... files everywhere, whatever.....
In other words, you end up with a nice pristine-up-to-date Arch - (aka "pacman -Syu" gives you nuthin' to do.) -smokin' !

Ok so, it's nice to know, that this can still be done, since obviously the "new and improved" aif / ARCHISO build scripts fail to do something like this -I guess they are meant more for LIVECD fluff stuff.   ?
- but I hope these new AIF issues within these latest built Netinstall's will finally get fixed, 'cause the above is only for special cases for now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FIXED]: (Using "newer" xorriso/mkarchiso Method) : This is a better/prefered Method now.

# as root for everything:
mkdir /mnt/archiso
mkdir /mnt/root-image-tmp
mkdir /root-image
#
mount -o loop /iso/archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-x86_64.iso /mnt/archiso
cp -a /mnt/archiso /customiso
cd /customiso/arch/x86_64
cp root-image.fs.sfs /root-image
cd /root-image
unsquashfs root-image.fs.sfs
cd squashfs-root
mount root-image.fs /mnt/root-image-tmp
cp /mnt/root-image-tmp/usr/lib/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin /tmp
#
# "cd /mnt/root-image-tmp" and make any "static" changes only; ie: add your aif configs/files, directories,..., to /mnt/root-image-tmp ...
#
cd /
umount /mnt/root-image-tmp
cd /root-image
mv root-image.fs.sfs root-image.fs.sfs.old
mksquashfs squashfs-root root-image.fs.sfs
cp -f root-image.fs.sfs /customiso/arch/x86_64
cd /customiso
xorriso -as mkisofs -o /arch-custom.iso -r -l -V "ARCH_201108" -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -iso-level 3 -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -isohybrid-mbr /tmp/isohdpfx.bin .

CD/DVD ? -yes
USB ? -yes, just "dd if=/arch-custom.iso of=/dev/sd[x]

That's it.
-as can be seen, using "xorriso" here, is a much cleaner way of doing this, and with NO fussing-around with unetbootin, e2label, mtools,... ?

and, Thanks to "@djgera" for the "xorriso" pointer.... smile

Cheers.

Last edited by scjet (2012-03-20 14:07:18)

#11 2012-03-19 15:02:21

djgera
Developer
Website

Is much more easy to make a new archiso image with custom modifications than remaster currently one.

1) root-image is split in usr-share and lib-modules. If you made some changes to root-image that affects /usr/share and /lib/modules they are wrong.
2) You are compressing sfs with gzip instead of xz.
3) Do not use outdated genisoimage, use xorriso with isohybrid-mbr as done by mkarchiso [#1] if you want hybrid iso.

[#1] https://github.com/djgera/archiso/blob/ … chiso#L339

#12 2012-03-19 15:23:48

scjet
Banned

djgera wrote:

Is much more easy to make a new archiso image with custom modifications than remaster currently one.

1) root-image is split in usr-share and lib-modules. If you made some changes to root-image that affects /usr/share and /lib/modules they are wrong.
2) You are compressing sfs with gzip instead of xz.
3) Do not use outdated genisoimage, use xorriso with isohybrid-mbr as done by mkarchiso [#1] if you want hybrid iso.

[#1] https://github.com/djgera/archiso/blob/ … chiso#L339

Sure, well then let's FIX the "newer" AIF / Archiso(s), and (test)Netinstall "releng's" images to work right,  and I'll use them buddy !
I don't want to pull any new stuff here, until it's fixed, because "aif" breaks? what more can I say ?
And besides, let me quote something right from the (Arch)horses' mouth, which you may understand in my case: "...Netinstall images are the preferred install media for Arch Linux...."
[EDIT]: @djgera <- Yes, you are right with regards to using the xorriso/mkarchiso Method even pertaining to "remastering" of archlinux-2011-08-netinstall...iso.  Thanks for the pointer, and i modified my above post to reflect that.

Cheers.

Last edited by scjet (2012-03-20 08:15:56)

#13 2012-10-17 21:30:02

lenieco

Thanks a lot for sharing the method for Remastering an official archlinux iso.

I tried it with some files for testing and it works perfect. But now i have a problem and wonder if you can help me.

I want to add some packages to pacman /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ for installing them offline from my remastered iso, but when i try to copy them to the mounted root-image.fs it can't copy all of my desired packages because there's no free space.

I ran df -h and get this:

/dev/loop0            701M      701M        0        100%       /mnt/root-image-tmp

It isn't the total output but clearly shows that the filesystem has a defined size of 701M and i need more space for my iso.

Please help me....

1. Can I increase this size for the mounted system?.
2. How can I increase it?
3. Can i use a DVD for my remastered iso?
4. There's another way for installing almost 400 packages offline?

Thanks for your help!!!

#14 2012-10-17 21:36:13

WonderWoofy

This is probably to be considered necro-bumping.  Please start a new thread and link back to this one, as I believe this thread has run its course with its references to AIF and the like.

#15 2012-10-17 21:39:24

lenieco

WonderWoofy wrote:

This is probably to be considered necro-bumping.  Please start a new thread and link back to this one, as I believe this thread has run its course with its references to AIF and the like.

You are right man... i'll do it....

Board footer