I'm getting the now infamous 'signal 11' error when trying to run Google Earth.
I've tried the suggestions in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114992 with no luck and also reinstalling GE and all its dependencies.
Does anyone have any more ideas I can try?
System is i686 with nvidia graphics. Crash log is at http://pastebin.com/W4X4AgXd
Last edited by dtmc (2013-01-02 22:28:37)
I was caught out by "GE has caught signal 11" a couple of days ago (using nouveau driver with nvidia hardware). I don't have any .drirc or dri file (as mentioned in old thread 114992). However, I copied librarian.launchpad.net/7037027/libGL.so.1 into the directory /opt/google/earth/free/, and this got GE working, although the video quality wasn't so good. Then I installed ia32-libs in my copy of debian in virtualbox, then copied /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 from there, as libGL.so.1, back to arch to replace the one from launchpad.net. GE is now working perfectly.
I don't really understand any of the above. This is my 2nd installation, on a separate drive, but otherwise using the same hardware as the first, which was done using the official media. This one is from releng.archlinux.org, 2012/04/10_04, netinstall, x86_64. On the first, I couldn't get alsa to work and had to use oss for sound. With this one, alsa worked out the box, which is very nice. However, in addition to this google earth thing, I had significant trouble configuring an automatic wireless connection, and a problem with my samba server.
Oops - I had failed to install lib32-nouveau-dri !!!
Last edited by pralias47 (2012-05-07 06:10:39)
I had /etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-fonts-persian.conf causing the error. I renamed the file and everything runs as expected.
To debug, use this:
echo; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/google/earth/free/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH strace /opt/google/earth/free/googleearth-bin 2>&1 | grep -B10 SEGV_MAPERR | grep open | cut -d '"' -f2; echo
You will need strace.
Many thanks - and a timely post. I'd reinstalled Arch, due to me severely mucking it up, and got Google Earth working again that way - but just last week, it did it to me again and I have been without it since then. Renaming the file makes it work again :-)