You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-21 01:08:13

oldtimeyjunk
Website

Tiling Window Manager with Minimizing/Inconify

I've looked high and low and cannot find such a thing, so I came here as a last resort -- is there any tiling window managers (such as i3 etc.) that supports minimizing/inconifying?

Last edited by oldtimeyjunk (2012-03-21 01:08:27)

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#2 2012-03-21 01:12:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Tiling Window Manager with Minimizing/Inconify

Openbox and PyTile?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-03-21 01:12:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'd be surprised if most of them don't.  Xmonad, for example, allows for the 'hiding' or minimizing of windows.

Other tilers I've seen (I believe wmii) allows for a  form of 'shading' in the window stack so only a title bar is visible.

This may not be a "default" behavior, but any WM should be able to be configured to hide windows.  "Iconify" may be challenging if you actually want icons to show up ... where would the icons be if the remaining windows tile the screen?

Edited to add link.  Also, some quick scripting with wmctrl should allow for a key to be bound in any WM to have a similar effect as the minimize in xmonad.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-03-21 01:14:57)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#4 2012-03-21 01:14:44

oldtimeyjunk
Website

[deleted]

Last edited by oldtimeyjunk (2012-03-21 01:15:08)

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#5 2012-03-21 01:18:00

oldtimeyjunk
Website

Trilby wrote:

where would the icons be if the remaining windows tile the screen?

I suppose I could use a dock, but since all the docks (Docky, AWN) have been removed from the Pacman Repos and they're all outdated on the AUR, the next best thing would be a panel (like lxpanel).

Last edited by oldtimeyjunk (2012-03-21 01:20:32)

#6 2012-03-21 02:05:58

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

SpectrWM supports this feature, though the current implementation is horrible from a usability standpoint.  There is no visual indication that any windows are iconified or which desktop they are hiding in.

#7 2012-03-21 02:46:37

bslackr

Awesome has this by default.

#8 2012-03-21 02:59:50

kcirick

If you know a little bit of coding, you can write your own function to do this... I would look at dwm source code and just try to learn what it's doing. It's only something like 2000 lines of code, which really isn't bad at all if you start looking at it.

But as mentioned in previous posts, i3/wmii has "dock" option, and awesome has this feature already.

#9 2012-03-21 04:26:39

ANOKNUSA

oldtimeyjunk wrote:
Trilby wrote:

where would the icons be if the remaining windows tile the screen?

I suppose I could use a dock, but since all the docks (Docky, AWN) have been removed from the Pacman Repos and they're all outdated on the AUR, the next best thing would be a panel (like lxpanel).

Many tiling WMs come with their own statusbar, and may read any external dock or panel you install as a separate client and force it into the tiled layout.  It is true that Awesome has a minimize function by default; I wasn't aware that other tilers did, as well.  I know DWM and WMFS do not, and I suspect the reason is: What's the point?  If you have ten tags to work with and don't need a window to be seen, stick in on another tag.  Having multiple tags allows programs to be assigned to specific tags upon opening and all tilers I'm aware of let you view more than one tag.  Hence, you can call up the tag with the desired window when you want it in the current tag's layout, or simply switch to the tag with that window if you want it floating/maximized.  Besides, using a panel or dock encourages the exact same wrist-grinding behavior people use tiling window managers to avoid.

Board footer