You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-23 00:33:34

carbon64

grub2 does not cleanly install

Hello,
My very first post! I am having some difficulty installing new Arch OS. Specifically, when I try to manually run

grub_bios-install... I get the reply: command not found

I successfully did this install the other day. Now, however, during the grub2-common-1:2.00beta2-2-x86_64 install, this happens at
(4/4) checking for file conflicts
warning: could not get filesystem information for /bootmnt: No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /cowspace: No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sfs/root-image: No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sfs/lib-modules: No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sfs/usr-share: No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /bootmnt: No such file or directory

I am following the tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69X9ZYA41xU&noredirect=1
I successfully completed this over the weekend, and am doing again.

I just changed the command to grub-install... and it partially installed, with some warnings. On reboot, the machine hangs at: Loading initial ramdisk

Thank you for any help.

#2 2012-03-23 11:32:06

scar

Re: grub2 does not cleanly install

Try to check if your  /boot/grub/grub.cfg is correct ( partition names, etc. )
If not, chroot from a live media to your box, and run
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
find some help here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub

“The future has already arrived. It's just not evenly distributed yet.”
― William Gibson

#3 2012-03-23 22:45:43

cfr

If you are using grub2, look at the wiki page for grub2. It sounds like you are following a tutorial for grub2 1.99 or earlier but the repos now have the beta of 2 and the instructions for setup have changed. So what worked at the weekend won't necessarily work now and the instructions on youtube won't necessarily work now. But the wiki page has been updated and those instructions should work.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2012-03-24 16:05:47

carbon64

Yes, after tinkering a bit, I suspect you are right cfr. I tried using 1.99 from AUR but no luck there. My goodness, the wiki for grub2 looks insanely complicated (for a bootloader). I don't mind giving it a go, but that sort of complication seems inconsistent with "Keep it simple".

#5 2012-03-24 16:11:14

magicalChicken
Website

insanely complicated

Yeah, I have moved away from grub now, because grub2 simply does more than I want it too, you might try syslinux, I am using it now, and it is very fast, reliable, looks good, much easier than grub2.

#6 2012-03-24 17:57:42

hadrons123

carbon64 wrote:

Yes, after tinkering a bit, I suspect you are right cfr. I tried using 1.99 from AUR but no luck there. My goodness, the wiki for grub2 looks insanely complicated (for a bootloader). I don't mind giving it a go, but that sort of complication seems inconsistent with "Keep it simple".

The default grub2 setup is bit complicated to give more functionality. Its just another routine app. nothing to do with arch 'kiss'.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

Board footer