You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-26 00:46:35

ch_123

Thinkpad X220 touchpad issues

I've had some issues with my touchpad that have appeared in the last day or so. The touchpad in question is one of those "buttonless" designs that instead has a single physical button under the touchpad, so that you press down on the touchpad to physically click (this is independent of tap-to-click, which I usually have turned off). The touchpad previously treated two finger clicks as right clicks, and three finger clicks as middle clicks, and has since stopped doing this. Sometimes, when I click down on the touchpad, it won't let me move the mouse cursor... this is rather intermittent, and happens some times and not others.

I've tested this under a Linut Mint live USB environment, and it works as expected there, suggesting that it isn't a hardware issue. If I enable tap-to-click, it behaves in the expected way for tapping, but not the physical clicking of the touchpad button. As far as I can remember, the desired behavior specified above was the default behavior, at least under the Gnome 3 desktop that I use. I've had a look around the wiki for info, and any of the things I've tried, such as the "MatchDevicePath" stuff, doesn't work.

Any ideas?

#2 2012-03-26 01:29:47

anrxc
Website

Re: Thinkpad X220 touchpad issues

Current version of xf86-input-synaptics in Arch has the new multi touch support for clickpads (what you call butonless design on new ProBook's and ThinkPad's) using mtdev library. It differs from previous hacks which enabled support, hacks that found their way into SuSE, Ubuntu etc. releases, and this one works different.

There are two new properties you can use in your synaptics configuration now:

Option     "ClickPad"         "true"
    Option     "SoftButtonAreas"  "3507 0 3918 0 0 0 0 0"

First enables clickpad support, and second defines what are the right button and middle button areas. The values you see in SoftButtonAreas are the ones I have been playing with so far on my own laptop. For more information read SoftButtonAreas section in man 4 synaptics.

To help you find the right values for your self here are some tricks I've been using as well. The above SoftButtonAreas values on my clickpad result in these properties being set:

$ synclient | grep -i button
    RightButtonAreaLeft     = 3507
    RightButtonAreaRight    = 0
    RightButtonAreaTop      = 3918
    RightButtonAreaBottom   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaLeft    = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaRight   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaTop     = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaBottom  = 0

From here you can tweak the values on the fly, until you find suitable boundaries to use for right and middle click, and then backport them into synaptics configuration:

$ synclient RightButtonAreaLeft=3300 RightButtonAreaTop=3999

Last edited by anrxc (2012-03-26 01:33:18)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2012-03-26 09:51:22

ch_123

Thanks for your reply. I can now at least right click with my touch pad once more, however, this configuration seems to divide the trackpad into left and right click sections, which is not what I want.

From some Googling, the new driver seems to break "Click Actions", which appear to be responsible for the behavior I'm looking for. However, trying to find information on that just yields a lot of discussions on the Ubuntu mailing lists, and no real solutions. Anyone know a workaround?

#4 2012-03-26 21:41:03

anrxc
Website

For some reasons I prefered the old SuSE patchset[1] but old synaptics driver no longer
builds with xorg-server 1.12.0 we now have in Arch. And whole multi touch seems to now
be handled differently, so unfortunately I can't help you futher.

1. http://sysphere.org/~anrxc/local/source … port.patch

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#5 2012-03-27 14:03:36

Hamsterkill

The Clickpad documentation on the wiki should probably be updated with the above, then.

#6 2012-03-27 16:13:05

Stebalien
Website

Updated.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#7 2012-05-29 07:16:21

ch_123

Does anyone know if there's a way to bring back the multi-finger clicking with the new driver system? Decided to search for it again, and still can't find anything...

#8 2012-06-04 01:54:00

shasderias

The new ClickPad option seems to disable the ClickFinger[1-3] options and hence mutually exclusive with SoftButtonAreas options, which I personally find completely useless. Thus to get multi-finger clicks back, you'll need to disable the ClickPad option and set ClickFinger[1-3]. This (assuming I'm reading your intentions right) gives you your desired behavior:

1) Click with one finger (i.e. press down on the clickpad with one finger) - Left Click
2) Click with two fingers - Right Click
3) Click with three fingers - Middle Click

Also note for some reason the right and middle clicks on the clickpad are reversed (see my 10-synaptics.conf below).

Below are the contents of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf file.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "ClickPad"   "false"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "3"
        Option "TapButton3" "2"
        Option "ClickFinger1" "1"
        Option "ClickFinger2" "3"
        Option "ClickFinger3" "2"
        Option "LockedDrags" "true"
        Option "LockedDragTimeout" "500"
        Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "true"
        Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "true"
        Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

#9 2012-07-20 17:12:35

ch_123

Just noticed this now. Your configuration allowed me to re-enable the desired behavior of the touchpad. Thanks!

Board footer