You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-26 13:06:11

birdspider
Website

Headless (Media) Server Project [AMD Fusion][UEFI]

Hi,

since my old server mainboard died, I want to setup a new rack with an Asus E35M1I.
Before I spent endless hours of searching obvious things I decided to post my most important questions here.
also to have them in one place -> depending on how it goes I might do a wiki page

1. 64bit kernel should be no problem, right? (since the MB supports up to 8GB ram) - confirmed works fine

2. The arch linux wiki states that

kernel >=3.3 these is a new option CONFIG_EFI_STUB which allows launching the kernel from the UEFI Shell itself, thus removing the need for a separate boot-loader.

Should I wait for the 3.3 kernel to be in the repos ?
    using standard boot method

3. The CONFIG_EFI_STUB config option is already in the config file on the package/linux trunk, what does this mean for me?

4. In Order to enhance performance I found these gcc flags

CFLAGS="-O1 -pipe -march=amdfam10 -mcx16 -mpopcnt -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mssse3 -msse4a"

do those strike anyone as particulary bad or good ?

5. Is there a unofficial kernel package which you would recommend for this setup ? (similar to e.g. linux-ck[-corex] )

6. given I don't want to have it running 24/7 what tools or settings do you recommend to have it hibernate/standby PLUS wakeup if samba access or similar - for now I have manual acpi PRBT -> poweroff ans WOL

7. other optinions, hints to what to do right (or wrong) with this setup

Facts:
me: Archlinux Intermediate User, 2-3 PCs currently running Arch, no shell coward, custom kernel is an option
server loads: minidnla, samba, transmission, sshd, (future: some kind of mediacenter)
Mainboard Asus E35M1I + 4GB Ram

Findings during Install.
pacman SigLevel != NEVER, I had to edit /tmp/pacman.conf during AIF to get packages at all.
samba apperanly needs sec=ntlmv2 in client mount options, since it gives a File not Found error otherwise - this didn't happen before and there is rarely any doc on this.
the amd fusion E350 uses powernow-k8 as freqency scaling driver, I wasn't entirly sure about this.

Last edited by birdspider (2012-03-30 11:42:16)

#2 2012-03-26 13:14:07

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Headless (Media) Server Project [AMD Fusion][UEFI]

Running x86_64 on an AMD E-350 here, no issues whatsoever. I don't know how stable that UEFI feature is, but if you're not familiar with UEFI, my guess it might take more time to set up UEFI the right way than to install a conventional bootloader...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2012-03-26 13:33:50

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: Headless (Media) Server Project [AMD Fusion][UEFI]

.:B:. wrote:

Running x86_64 on an AMD E-350 here, no issues whatsoever. I don't know how stable that UEFI feature is, but if you're not familiar with UEFI, my guess it might take more time to set up UEFI the right way than to install a conventional bootloader...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=136833

Board footer