You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-01 17:58:07

WanderingOak

[Solved- I mean it this time] No network under wicd

I've been having a few issues with my first installation of ArchLinux on an old IBM T43 laptop. I've ben able to get Debian up and running on this same machine, so I do know that the hardware works and is compatible.

My wireless card is an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG , and I do have ipw2200-fw installed. Following the instructions in the Wiki for wicd, I commented out 'network' in the daemons list in /etc/rc.conf, made sure that dbus was listed, and added  wicd. With that configuration, I have no network whatsoever, wireless or wired. Wicd can not even see my wireless router, even though it is only four feet away. If I stop wicd and start network, the wired network works fine. I've tried both dhcps and dhclient, but neither works with wicd.

If anybody has any ideas as to what I should try next, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by WanderingOak (2012-04-02 22:10:41)

#2 2012-04-01 18:37:33

Stebalien
Website

Re: [Solved- I mean it this time] No network under wicd

I don't know why your ethernet isn't working but you should check your wireless radio kill switch state (rfkill list). Also, look through/post your /var/log/everything.log.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C

#3 2012-04-01 22:01:15

mr.MikyMaus

not sure whether it's relevant but is your user listed in the "network" group?

also you need to do some manual tweaking when using wicd - namely tell it the interfaces names (via Preferences). You can get them by running the "ifconfig -a" or "ip l" command (the latter gives more compact results).

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#4 2012-04-01 22:51:58

WanderingOak

mr.MikyMaus wrote:

not sure whether it's relevant but is your user listed in the "network" group?

also you need to do some manual tweaking when using wicd - namely tell it the interfaces names (via Preferences). You can get them by running the "ifconfig -a" or "ip l" command (the latter gives more compact results).

Yep. The silly SOB had the two reversed. Ethernet is supposed to be eth0, and wireless eth1, but the preferences panel of wicd had the exact opposite. Murphy strikes again!!!!

Thanks for the help!

#5 2012-04-01 23:00:15

SS4

Wireless is eth1? Isn't it usually wlan0?

eh, who cares. If it ain't broke don't fix it big_smile

Rauchen verboten

#6 2012-04-01 23:39:57

WanderingOak

I jumped the gun on this being solved. I can connect through Ethernet using wicd, but still can't connect wirelessly. It always fails on authentication, saying it gave a bad password. "KeyError: dbus.String(u'bad_pass')" My Mac can connect wirelessly, as can my BluRay player. I know that I am inputting the right password, and I am fairly certain that I am using the proper format (WPA 1/2 (Passphrase)). Any ideas?

#7 2012-04-02 16:30:37

mr.MikyMaus

SS4: some broadcom drivers suffer from this inconviniency, although there is a way to rename the device quite conveniently: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Re … interfaces

WanderingOak: no prob

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#8 2012-04-02 22:09:37

WanderingOak

I figured it out. I was using the wrong encryption. I borrowed a friend's Debian laptop, and it showed that it connected to my network using WPA 1/2 (Passphrase), so that is what I tried to connect with. On a hunch, I tried various other encryptions with Arch and found that WEP (Hex [0-9/A-F]) worked. I'm thinking that the Debian laptop is lying to me about the encryption protocols that wicd is using. Anyhow, if my wireless router really is using WEP, then perhaps I need to upgrade to something more secure...

Board footer