You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-03 17:27:45

cortman

Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

I'm in the process of getting OpenBox up and running on my new Arch system. I installed obmenu to edit the menus, but when I try to run it from the terminal I get

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

and it won't start. I get the same message when I run gedit from the terminal, but gedit actually loads. How can I resolve this?

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB extra for both of us when you use my referral link: https://copy.com?r=IlpMD4. smile

#2 2012-04-03 17:43:45

bohoomil
Website

Re: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

First of all, check if your system is up-to-date:

pacman -Syu

If you still get the error, look up similar cases.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#3 2012-04-03 18:01:57

cortman

I ran pacman -Syu last night. All upgraded with no errors.
I've found other posts in the Arch forums about this subject, which seem to say to change the GTK_PATH. I've done this and it still throws the error.

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB extra for both of us when you use my referral link: https://copy.com?r=IlpMD4. smile

#4 2012-04-03 18:48:21

bohoomil
Website

Obmenu itself doesn't depend on libcanberra. It's most likely required by another Gtk application. The module should be loaded with your WM. If it's not, add the following at the beginning of your .xinitrc (assuming you start X session with startx), and check again.

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* ; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

I suggested you look at other similar posts because the reason you get the error may be various things indeed...

Last edited by bohoomil (2012-04-03 18:49:26)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#5 2012-04-03 19:14:24

azleifel

In addition to making sure that GTK_MODULES is set, the other thing to try is not setting GTK_PATH unless absolutely necessary, i.e. if some application won't work properly if it isn't set.  In particular, not setting GTK_PATH to

/usr/lib/gtk-3.0:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0

should eliminate any

Gtk-WARNING **: GTK+ module /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

errors.

#6 2012-04-03 19:27:23

cortman

bohoomil wrote:

Obmenu itself doesn't depend on libcanberra. It's most likely required by another Gtk application. The module should be loaded with your WM. If it's not, add the following at the beginning of your .xinitrc (assuming you start X session with startx), and check again.

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* ; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

I suggested you look at other similar posts because the reason you get the error may be various things indeed...

Yep, that's already a part of my .xinitrc.

azleifel, what should I set the GTK_Modules path to?

#7 2012-04-03 20:02:59

azleifel

If /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ contains 40-libcanberra-gtk-module and it is executable then it should set GTK_MODULES to "canberra-gtk-module" when it's run from .xinitrc.

Board footer