You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-03 21:06:53

MattDiesel

Essid gets forgotten with wireless network

I can connect to a wireless network using the full manual method, but after a minute or so it cuts out, and typing iwconfig shows that all details are there, only essid is missing (set to "off/any"). As soon as I type: `iwconfig wlan0 essid "..."` the issue is fixed.

I have disabled IPv6 and generally connection got better, but this problem remained. The only plausible cause as far as I can tell is that the wifi goes out of range, but generally the signal is good, and I have not experienced this problem with other OS'.

I'm not sure what other information is relevant. It's a USB adapter (linksys), that shows as RT2870 (which according to the wiki is superseded by 'rt2800usb' (which has been working)). It's WEP encrypted. Tx Excessive retries is the only slightly anomalous value (at about 140).

#2 2012-04-06 22:32:53

Strike0

Re: Essid gets forgotten with wireless network

Any hint in the logs why it de-connects?
A minute is too short, but to be save there: Powersaving of the linksys is off?

#3 2012-05-26 23:30:59

MattDiesel

I know this is old, but I better post an update ( http://xkcd.com/979/ )

The reason was that as soon as it lost connection, it forgot the details. The router was using channel 1, which was also in use by a lot of other devices in the house (hence Tx Excessive Retries being so high), switching this to 11 reduced that number significantly and made the internet connection much more stable.

It still cuts out, but very infrequently and usually for other reasons.

#4 2012-05-27 06:52:13

Strike0

Good you found the problem, it works and you did so ( great link smile also)

Board footer