You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-18 07:08:17

aha

Hal/Dbus/gnome-volume-manager mount permission problem

Hello,

I have hal/dbus/gnome-volume-manager installed (of course I use gnome as DE).

I need help in configuring the permissions for automatically mounted disk/partitions.

When I connect an external USB HDD having 1 NTFS and 1 partition, these partitions are auto-mounted and the desktop icons appear for the both.

As a normal user I am able to read/write FAT partition (I think, not because I have configured anything properly, but because FAT does not support permissions on filesystem), but I am not even able to read (browse) NTFS filesystem (ERORR: You do not have permission...).

Yes, I have NTFS filesystm support enabled, because I am able to access that same NTFS partition as root.

~ Aha ~

#2 2005-07-18 16:26:16

Meshuggin

Re: Hal/Dbus/gnome-volume-manager mount permission problem

You should take a look to the line that represents your NTFS partition in /etc/fstab (umask permissions in OPTIONS), something like this would be ok:

ro,user,auto,umask=0222

Arch GNU/Linux 0.7.1 (Noodle)
Linux 2.6.14-archck1

#3 2005-07-19 00:42:51

aha

Re: Hal/Dbus/gnome-volume-manager mount permission problem

Well, Thanks for the reply but I had not put any static entry in fstab for this external USB HDD.

Anyway, I figured out something (havn't tested it yet)

When an external USB HDD is attached ... depending storage.policy and volume.policy rules in /usr/share/hal .. the hal daemon (hald) calls fstab-sync with appropriate parameters.

fstab-sync, then, generates /etc/fstab enteries automatically (with comment=managed keyword).

I have added a user policy so that umask and gid value is set correctly. I'll test is as soon as I'll get time.

In the meanwhile if anybody have any other suggestions, please post it here.

~ Aha ~

Board footer