You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-01 18:46:11

mb

Kaboodle & Noatun in kde 3.1.4

I was curious if either Kaboodle or Noatun works for anyone who has installed the kdemultimedia-3.1.4 package.  Both of them crashed any time I tried to use them in 3.1.3.  In 3.1.4, the crash is gone, but when I try to open a video file with either one, nothing happens.  Both programs open, but they won't play the file.

I looked at the PKGBUILD files for kdelibs and kdemultimedia, and both are built with the --without-alsa option (does anyone know why we're using that option in arch?).  Since I have alsa drivers installed, I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem.  I found some instructions for compiling both packages on the linuxfromscratch site which shows how to compile with alsa, so I may try that in the next couple of days to see if that fixes the problem.  On the other hand, both programs worked in kde 3.1.2, and I'm assuming they were also compiled with the --without-alsa option.  Hmmmm....puzzling.

Does anyone else have the same problem and/or have any ideas on how to fix it?  Thanks in advance!

#2 2003-10-01 21:33:41

sarah31
Website

Re: Kaboodle & Noatun in kde 3.1.4

well if you want to try to compile them with alsa i would assume thet either you remove the "--without-alsa" option or you would just option it in. it may be worth while testing to see if it is an alsa conflict of some sort but to be honest if you have the right modules loading (ie snd-oss-pcm (or something like that)) then i do not expect that  this is the problem. to me it sounds as thoug it is having trouble handling codecs.

i tried noatun before and it never ever worked (mind you that was a long long time ago well before i came to arch)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-10-01 22:54:43

romankreisel

Right now i'm listening to music played by noatun, i also tested kaboodle, both worked fine. But i should tell you, i compiled KDE 3.1.4 on my own with self-built PKGBUILD, which are _very_ (if not completely) similar to Judd's.

I'm also using alsa, but enabled oss-emulation and told arts to use the oss-device.

I think it wouldn't hurt anyone compiling KDE with alsa enabled, of course it would build-depend (hm... arch could really need build-depends in PKGBUILDS, doesn't it?) on alsa-lib

#4 2003-10-02 04:29:44

marin_linuxer
Website

Noatun works for me using aRts/OSS on www.di.fm -- but, kaboodle _does not_(!?).

Maybe kaboodle doesn't handle WinAmp style '.pls' streams?

-- Linux!  Isn't it time?

#5 2003-10-02 08:47:25

Bobonov

I think the problem with both is connected to the arts sound server.
At the very beginning I used it since I was using only kde as desktop, but later on I switched to esd since I want to user also other  desktop/windows manager and both stopped to work.

#6 2003-10-02 11:14:23

romankreisel

use "lsof" to check what blocks your /dev/dsp and free it. This should help

#7 2003-10-02 16:32:05

hApy
Website

both worked for me .. I have recompiled with alsa though so that may be part of it. normally though I do not run artsd at all though (too slow & I rarely have multiple sound sources anyways).... usually I just output using xine/xmms & alsa. but kaboodle and noatun both started up the arts server and worked fine.

Hapy.

#8 2003-10-03 15:14:31

mb

Well, recompiling arts, kdelibs, and kdemultimedia with alsa support fixed the problem.  Both work fine now. 

For those who are interested, here are the instructions I followed from the linuxfromscratch site for modifying the PKGBUILD files.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi … e/kde.html

Refer to the links under the "Table of Contents" heading near the bottom of the page.

Board footer