You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-04 20:18:24

bmentink

[SOLVED] .. error: coreutils: /usr/bin/install exists in filesystem

Hi All,

Getting the following error:

(85/85) checking for file conflicts                 [###########################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
coreutils: /usr/bin/install exists in filesystem 

I am reluctant to delete/move /usr/bin/install for fear of breaking the system ..
Anyone help here?

Last edited by bmentink (2012-04-05 02:26:42)

#2 2012-04-05 02:26:11

bmentink

Re: [SOLVED] .. error: coreutils: /usr/bin/install exists in filesystem

I'll answer myself ... solved it by re-naming offending file (after checking it wasn't owned with "pacman -Qo /usr/bin/install")
re-booted fine, deleted file ..

#3 2012-04-15 15:37:52

bsilbaugh

Re: [SOLVED] .. error: coreutils: /usr/bin/install exists in filesystem

I just ran into this same issue today while performing a full system upgrade. After some investigation, I came to agree with the OP that manually removing "/usr/bin/install" is the correct action to take.

Prior to successfully executing the full system upgrade, I found that /usr/bin/install was a symlink to /bin/install. Using "pacman -Qo /bin/install", I found that the file /bin/install was owned by the coreutils 8.15-1 package. The symlink /usr/bin/install, however, was not owned by any package. The conflict arises because coreutils 8.16-2 wants to put the new install program in /usr/bin instead of its previous location under /bin.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I seem to recall running into a problem installing some third party library that had /usr/bin/install hard-coded into its build script and claimed the file didn't exist. I may have manually created the symlink /usr/bin/install to /bin/install as a quick-fix, then forgot to remove it. In retrospect, I could have confirmed/refuted this hypothesis by comparing the time stamp on the symlink /usr/bin/install to /bin/install. If the symlink was created well after /bin/install, then I'm probably to blaim; on the other hand, if the symlink was created essentially at the time /bin/install was created, then most likely the creators of the coreutils package forgot to claim ownership of the symlink.

- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. -- Mark Twain
- There's a remedy for everything but death. -- The wise fool, Sancho Panza
- The purpose of a system is what it does. -- Anthony Stafford Beer

Board footer