You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-05 15:17:08

av

[SOLVED] Wine won't work

I honestly don't know what piece of information could be of use to you, so I will include all of the available ones in hope that some of them are worth mentioning.

Me against the wiki page:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32 winecfg returned a:

wine: created the configuration directory '/root/win32'
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xfde8ec, overlapped 0xfde8d0): stub
wine: configuration in '/root/win32' has been updated.
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 

And, WINEARCH=win32, gave me this:

WINEARCH set to win32 but '/root/.wine' is a 64-bit installation. 

Also, I have winetricks installed but a WINEARCH=win32 winetricks only returns this:

wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string. 

Finally, whenever I try to install a game, wine itself immediately gives up:

err:menubuilder:init_xdg error looking up the desktop directory
err:module:import_dll Library binkw32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\av\\Silent_Hill\\sh2pc.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\av\\Silent_Hill\\sh2pc.exe" failed, status c0000135 

I looked around for a while but only got more confused.
If you have any suggestions, please go ahead..

Last edited by av (2012-04-06 17:58:31)

#2 2012-04-05 17:08:19

triplesquarednine

Re: [SOLVED] Wine won't work

I just stumbled across your thread, I'll see if i can help, as i do see problems at first glance with your install.

You didn't say whether or not you are running Archlinux 64-bit, but it would appear that you are. (you can correct me if i am wrong).

wine: created the configuration directory '/root/win32'
&&
wine: configuration in '/root/win32' has been updated.
&&

why are you creating a wine prefix for root? Wine is meant to be run as a normal user, in fact - it is an important detail in Wine's FAQ;

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_as_root

Never run Wine as your root user.

As a normal user Wine will create it's prefixes in your home folder <ie: /home/USERNAME/.wine  (or .whatever-name-you-choose)>

odeerr:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory[
&&

it can't find libmpg123.so - do you have mpg123 installed? I believe this is an optional dependency for wine, so you might need to install it.

I had this problem not too long ago. I couldn't find a way to change the prefix from 64bit to 32bit. I ended up having to delete my prefix and start a new one.

The rest of your information, i don't really need to comment on, as they play into the above listed problems.

Steps to fix (hopefully).

1. remove your existing wine prefix' (both your /root/.wine && /root/win32)

2. now, make sure you have mpg123 installed (and/or any other optional dependencies for wine installed). You can took at what you may want/need here;

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/mult … 6_64/wine/

3. As your normal user (and not root), open a terminal and create your new wine prefix

it should be something like /home/username/.wine (as i pointed out above)

If you still bump into any errors about libs missing / cannot find shared object errors, than you probably don't have them installed. With multilib-wine (aka: wine on a 64bit system) remember that you will have to have the lib32- versions of optional dependencies installed, as well.

I think if you go through these steps, you should be able to fix the issues and wine should work.

cheerz

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2012-04-05 17:25:58)

#3 2012-04-05 18:37:17

av

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I completely removed wine along with anything that had to do with it, and subsequently reinstalled the whole thing. Including mpg123.
I also installed all of its dependencies (apart from samba and oss) and attempted to use it as a normal user (so embarrassed about this..).

Now I get this, when I attempt to install anything on it:

err:module:import_dll Library binkw32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\av\\Silent_Hill\\sh2pc.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\av\\Silent_Hill\\sh2pc.exe" failed, status c0000135 

I really don't know what else I should install. It may be pointed out in this error message but, damn my newbiness.
Should I look for a Linux equivalent to binkw32.dll or something? Does this thing even exist?

#4 2012-04-05 20:17:43

triplesquarednine

Well, as far as installing applications go or the one your are trying to install now, i can't really help you with.

Your hunch is probably incorrect. Your wine app is looking for that .dll , but you don't have it in wine. It is a different error message than the missing shared libs one.... my advice is to go to the  Wine application database, or find instructions for your app, elsewhere on the web. Read alittle more of Wine's documentation, as it can be helpful in how to proceed in many situations, and is worth looking through.

But i do have a question ~ Does winecfg work, now??

because it seems you have now moved onto another problem ~ this 'Silent Hill' application. (which i know nothing about, and isn't a problem with 'wine not working', it is a separate issue)

But did you first verify that wine itself is working okay, before you moved onto installing stuff?

anyways, i am not going to be much help beyond what i have given. I am pretty sure that my instructions, should've fixed what your original topic was, and if it in fact did ~ then you should marked this thread [SOLVED]. About specific apps, your kind of on your own. The wine-user-list is helpful (more helpful than Arch forums) for this kind of stuff. - i would probably try there, for specific problems, after you've went through the Wine application database.

cheerz

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2012-04-05 20:22:47)

#5 2012-04-05 20:37:21

Stebalien
Website

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#6 2012-04-06 17:57:02

av

You are right, wine works flawlessly now.
As for the last error, I discovered that the file itself wasn't properly copied from a Windows machine.
I re-copied it and now it works too.

Thank you so much for your help. Thank you both for your replies.
And sorry for the confusion.

Board footer