You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-19 17:05:25

b0uncer

can't mount root fs ..

so, what's this...have tried a few distributions, Arch too, on a pc. No luck. This far only RH8+ and Fedora have worked (installed+started). Every other distribution, except for Knoppix (LiveCD) has failed - always telling me that "can't mount root fs <some place>". so...is it the kernel not working with the motherboard or something?

I'd like to solve this one...has taken my time for ages. over half an year now..so..thanks for opinions. how to get past this? I've tried many kernel versions too, both 2.4 and 2.6...

thanks for ideas, especially from those who have seen, experienced and hopefully fixed this...

#2 2005-07-19 17:12:36

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: can't mount root fs ..

What kind of hardware are you using? Some kind of non-standard hard drives, perhaps? Maybe SCSI or SATA? (Both of these are known to work with Arch, but maybe it requires special kernel parametrs in your case).

Dusty

#3 2005-07-19 17:17:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: can't mount root fs ..

can't mount root fs is a bootloader error - I'm going to assume that the issue is configuring your bootloader... if you list your partition setup, I can give you a proper grub config that will work

Board footer