You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-20 02:31:26

amb

Strange behaviour with GTK2 apps

I'm having trouble with Firefox.
When I try to download something (by clicking on the link or mouse right button and "save as") Firefox (1.0.4) freezes. I have to kill the processes manually. Nothing on the logs.
Just going to "Downloads" tab, on "Preferences", makes it hang.

Tried everything I've found by goggling:  delete downloads.rdf, create a new profile, etc.. , but nothing worked.

So I've tried Mozilla 1.7. The same behavior.
Even Thunderbird (1.0) freezes the same way when I try to send an attached file.

I've noted that other applications spend too much time to start (minutes!!):
- k3b
- file-roller
- frozen-bubble (oh no! not frozen-bubble! wink )

The common denominator seems to be GTK2 and file access (or maybe I'm wrong...).

A week (or so) ago all these apps were working fine, so I think the problem is something I have updated recently.

I'm using xfce4, gtk2 and kdelibs.

Could it be gnome-vfs ? Someone else having such kind of problems?

TIA,
Armando

Armando

#2 2005-07-20 03:40:24

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Strange behaviour with GTK2 apps

You can check /var/log/pacman.log to see what pkg you have upgraded lately and try to  downgrade the ones that could be related to your problem. It might help you to find the culprit pkg.

EDIT: BTW, I think gnome-vfs has caused this behaviour in the past.  You can try downgrading it first. Is your system up-to-date (pacman -Syu)?

#3 2005-07-20 05:20:59

stonecrest

I actually had a very similar thing happen on Arch, libgnome ended up being the culprit. Here is my gnome bug report:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=305713

I never did get it figured out (or continue with the bug report), I decided to just reinstall Arch because I needed a working desktop ASAP for work. Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck.

Edit: If you have the same exact symptoms as my bug report, maybe you want to follow up on it..

I am a gated community.

#4 2005-07-20 11:01:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow

It's not GTK, or libgnome or gnomevfs.

frozen bubble and k3b dont use any of them.

Make sure you have still enabled your loopback (lo) interface in /etc/rc.conf. Without this, you get symptoms exactly like you describe.

iphitus

#5 2005-07-21 03:11:15

amb

Snowman:
I'm not sure when the problem started (more than a week, I think).
I update regularly (usually every day), so there are too much packages to blame, but this could help in conjunction with others hints. Thank you anyway.

stonecrest:
I'm not alone in the universe!!  smile
I've read your bug report, myne is exactly the same behaviour you described there (at least with respect with Firefox and Thunderbird) .
I'll follow it up. This seems to be the most promising path. Thank you.

iphitus:
Maybe there are two distinct problems here, or the problem could be with something else (not exactly GTK).
I have loopback enabled in my /etc/rc.conf :
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
Thank you for your sugestions and enlightment.

I'll try to follow up the thread stonecrest poited me to see if got something.

I've tested again with Firefox and tried to wait a long time (~20 minutes).
The app seemed frozen, but then by cycling through the windows (task bar) or when I opened a shell to kill the processes (I don't know which one worked), the dialog appeared.
Well, I don't have more 20 min. to waste, but I don't if it would work again.

Armando

#6 2005-07-21 04:06:10

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

To have loopback enable, you also must have network in the daemons array of rc.conf.

Running ifconfig will tell you if the loopback is enable.

#7 2005-07-22 00:19:59

amb

Snowman wrote:

To have loopback enable, you also must have network in the daemons array of rc.conf.

Running ifconfig will tell you if the loopback is enable.

I have network working and loopback is enabled:

$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr .....

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:414 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:414 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:55564 (54.2 Kb)  TX bytes:55564 (54.2 Kb)

Armando

#8 2005-07-25 03:26:51

amb

stonecrest wrote:

I actually had a very similar thing happen on Arch, libgnome ended up being the culprit. Here is my gnome bug report:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=305713

I never did get it figured out (or continue with the bug report), I decided to just reinstall Arch because I needed a working desktop ASAP for work. Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck.

Edit: If you have the same exact symptoms as my bug report, maybe you want to follow up on it..

Hi stonecrest,

Finally I've found some time to post a comment on you bug report on Gnome's bugzilla, nevertheless I was not able to change the status from UNCONFIRMED to NEW, only the original report creator can do it.
Could you please change the status of the bug (maybe this way we can get more attention from the developers ;-)

I'm still waiting for a future updating to correct this (or a miracle, what cames first)

Thank you,
Armando

Armando

#9 2005-07-25 04:36:57

stonecrest

Hi Armando,

I've looked around and I'm pretty sure that it can't be changed to NEW. If you look at the dates of the posts though, you'll see that it took them about a week to post in the bug report, so I guess you just have to be patient. The only choices I have are "Reassign bug to owner of selected component" and "Reassign to libgnome-maint@gnome.bugs".

Also, have you tried removing libgnome to verify that this is the culprit for you as well? Try removing it and trying to save an imagine in firefox again. If that's it, good (relatively speaking). If not, maybe go the path that I did of removing packages one by one via pacman and test it each time..

Good luck.

Scott

I am a gated community.

#10 2005-07-26 02:37:13

amb

stonecrest wrote:

Hi Armando,

Also, have you tried removing libgnome to verify that this is the culprit for you as well? Try removing it and trying to save an imagine in firefox again. If that's it, good (relatively speaking). If not, maybe go the path that I did of removing packages one by one via pacman and test it each time..

Good luck.

Scott

You're *absolutely* right!
Removing libgnome Firefox works fine again.

gnome-desktop
+---libgnomeui
    +---libbonoboui
        +---libgnomecanvas
        +---libgnome
            +---gnome-vfs
                +---fam
                +---libbonobo
                +---gconf
                +---gnome-mime-data
                +---0
                +---howl
                +---cdparanoia
                +---bzip2
                +---heimdal
            +---esd
    +---gnome-keyring
+---startup-notification

I've tried to remove every package above it on hierarchy of dependence (see above) and I'm sure the problem is with libgnome (or below it...).
But this is not a solution for me as I have a bunch of packages that depends on it.
Maybe we get something from our bug report.

I'm curious, if the problem is libgnome why isn't (almost) everybody having the same problem?

Armando

Armando

#11 2005-07-26 05:22:28

stonecrest

Very interesting (and I'm glad to know that it's not just me going insane!). Indeed it's strange that no one else has encountered this bug. In fact, all I did was reinstall Arch and all of the packages and the problem went away.

Ah well, hopefully the bug report will resolve the issue and save others this headache. I'm really interested to find out what the issue is.

I am a gated community.

#12 2005-07-31 04:50:42

Gundamman2

I have had this problem a few months back and it just started again today (and I have reinstalled Arch several times in the past couple months). Last time I had this issue it remained unresolved until I reinstalled Arch. Then I started getting the error again (which also affects K3B and File-Roller for me) and I very mad and went to the forums to search.

After removing libgnome, firefox works perfectly though K3B is still glitchy and file-roller doesn't work. Also, CNN rss feeds would freeze firefox but BBC wink . Weird, huh?

#13 2005-08-01 01:29:01

amb

Gundamman2 wrote:

I have had this problem a few months back and it just started again today (and I have reinstalled Arch several times in the past couple months). Last time I had this issue it remained unresolved until I reinstalled Arch. Then I started getting the error again (which also affects K3B and File-Roller for me) and I very mad and went to the forums to search.

After removing libgnome, firefox works perfectly though K3B is still glitchy and file-roller doesn't work. Also, CNN rss feeds would freeze firefox but BBC wink . Weird, huh?

Hi Gundamman2,

Welcome aboard.

I've tried to isolate the offending library.
If you rename /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0.1000.1 (OR /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0.1000.1) to something else Firefox works again.
Of course file-roller stops working, because it depends on libgome, but then it give us a message complaining about the lack of the library (instead of simply hanging up).
I'ts weird (like you pointed) because libgnome depends on gnome-vfs.
It seems the what Firefox (and Thunderbird) need to work is that one of the libraries be broken.

I've made a fresh installation of Arch, in a machine on my work, from 0.7 (wombat) CD, and it have Firefox, Thunderbird and file-roller working, with the same versions of libgnome and gnome-vfs.
I'll try to install the rest of packages on it to make it equal to that on my home, that doesn't works. (I think it'll take awhile, as I have too little time available sad , and for that reason a reinstallation on home's system is something I'm avoiding).

I don't know if this is meaningful, but my home's machime was installed from version 0.6 (widget) and updated until now.
Let's keep each other informed if one of us get it fixed.

Menwhile let's wait for something from stonecrest's bug report... (I really have faith on humanity smile

Armando

Armando

#14 2005-08-01 03:50:47

sud_crow
Website

Hi,

I see that some solved the issue with libgnome, i just wanted to support the loopback interface problem mentioned by iphitus i think, as im suffering from it right now. If when you do ifconfig you dont see "lo" and all the details just like for "eth0", then thats most likely the cause of all  your problems... (or some at least smile)
Im having some kind of problem with bringing network up:

[root@archcrow /home/crow]$ /etc/rc.d/network start
:: Starting Network                                                      
[BUSY] SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

so i have to load "lo" manually every time i boot  through:
]# ifconfig lo up

That solved my freezes for:
K3b, Eclipse, Firefox, Azureus... dont remember if for some others,,,

ps. Any tip on how to solve the network issue is welcome!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#15 2005-08-01 22:18:56

Gundamman2

After renaming libgnome, K3B and Firefox worked again. So I decided to name libgnome back to its original name but file-roller wouldn't start and it said that some of its libraries were missing so I reinstalled them (about six in all). I then restarted my computer and Firefox still works fine and K3B boots fine.

Well, I had the loopback issue with Azureus a few months ago and I fixed it by enabling the loopback with the IP address 127.0.0.1 but it didn't solve my issue with firefox or K3B. After this error started my network interfaces haven't been enabling at all during boot. I have to use ifconfig to start them and then the -a option to set the IP addresses. I know my issue with Firefox wasn't beacause of interface lo beacause I was running azureus at the time.

Also, the network daemon has never worked for me.

*Note: some gnome libs aren't installed (ex. libnautilus-private) and tell me if my post made sense wink .

#16 2005-08-01 22:56:53

JGC
Developer

libgnomeui installs some files for gtk, look at these files:

libgnomeui /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.a
libgnomeui /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.la
libgnomeui /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.so

Delete them and everything should be fine again...

I think somehow the GTK filechooser becomes buggy in non-gnome environment when it loads up gnome-vfs. Removing these libraries removes gnome-vfs integration from the gtk filechooser, but keeps your applications working.

Hope this issue is solved soon with new GTK, libgnomeui and gnome-vfs. I think of moving the gnome platform to current some day, because many programs that are non-gnome that are in current start to depend on it. Having firefox compiled against gnome-vfs could solve some issues I think.

#17 2005-08-02 01:42:48

amb

Hi,

sud_crow:
My problem has nothing to do with lo. As I've stated on my Jul 21 post above it's working fine along with network.
I've found something about the message you've received:
http://www.uit.co.uk/practical-tcpip/w-rterr-015.htm
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=54588

Better to check your /etc/rc.conf settings (specially lo, INTERFACES, gateway and ROUTES)
(Mine is as follow:
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"                                                               
eth0="dhcp"                                                                     
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
gateway="default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"  # replace for your actual default gateway ip                                             
ROUTES=(!gateway)                                                                                                                   
)

Gundamman2:
I'll try that, just a minute.
With all that talk about default gateway I've decided to check it... hey it doesn't responds to ping ... I'll check that ...

Armando

#18 2005-08-02 03:32:59

amb

amb wrote:

Hi,

Gundamman2:
I'll try that, just a minute.
With all that talk about default gateway I've decided to check it... hey it doesn't responds to ping ... I'll check that ...

No, the gateway thing doesn't make it work.

I've tried to rename back the libgnome libs, and even reinstall all (at least as I know it) gnome packages, but it doesn't worked.
I'm still having the same behaviour as before: FIrefox freezes when I try something related to downloading files, and k3b and file-roller takes minutes to open up (but then they work fine).

I have the following packages:
gnome-common 2.8.0-9
gnome-desktop 2.10.2-1
gnome-icon-theme 2.10.1-2
gnome-keyring 0.4.3-1
gnome-menus 2.10.2-1
gnome-mime-data 2.4.2-1
gnome-vfs 2.10.1-4
libgnome 2.10.1-1
libgnomecanvas 2.10.2-1
libgnomeui 2.10.1-1

I've never had problems with network or lo.
I have both up and working.

Of course your posting makes sense, but it seems there are little differences among of we (me, you, stonecrest and sud_crow) have got from our systems.

Let's go ahead smile ... (see my next posting...)

Armando

Armando

#19 2005-08-02 03:52:04

amb

JGC wrote:

libgnomeui installs some files for gtk, look at these files:

libgnomeui /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.a
libgnomeui /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.la
libgnomeui /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.so

Delete them and everything should be fine again...

I think somehow the GTK filechooser becomes buggy in non-gnome environment when it loads up gnome-vfs. Removing these libraries removes gnome-vfs integration from the gtk filechooser, but keeps your applications working.

Hope this issue is solved soon with new GTK, libgnomeui and gnome-vfs. I think of moving the gnome platform to current some day, because many programs that are non-gnome that are in current start to depend on it. Having firefox compiled against gnome-vfs could solve some issues I think.

Hi JGC,

When I saw your posting I felt it was the way to the solution.
I've tried to remove the files you pointed, but it still doesn't worked sad
I think you're right about the problem being on gnome-vfs integration with gtk, because if I remove (or rename) /opt/gnome/lib/libgnome-vfs* at least Firefox and Thunderbird work again (k3b and file-roller still takes minutes to open).

What do you think of installing some additional gnome packages (a hint would be greatly appreciated  smile  ?

Armando

Armando

#20 2005-08-02 04:25:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow

you sure your loopback is enabled?

have you got any hanging network mounts?

iphitus

#21 2005-08-02 05:54:44

JGC
Developer

k3b cannot be affected by gnome libs, as it is a completely standalone app that utilizes KDE libs.

#22 2005-08-02 07:02:17

Gundamman2

Trust me, K3B is affected somehow by this libgnome craziness. I run XFCE and preload some libs and services, so perhaps that had something to do with it but something in our systems has corrupted these libs and thus it has adversely affected our systems.

All I did to get my system up and running again (i.e. being able to save images in firefox and resolving the K3B problem) was to delete /opt/gnome/lib and then reinstall the deleted libraries with fresh packages by using the -Sf command with pacman. But I only reinstalled the libraries that file-roller required not nautilus. After I did that everything worked fine. I am pretty sure that renaming the libs doesn't do anything, they need to be reinstalled completely (hence the deleting).

#23 2005-08-03 02:19:31

amb

iphitus wrote:

you sure your loopback is enabled?

have you got any hanging network mounts?

iphitus

I don't have my home machine on a network, but I think loopback is working:

$ ifconfig lo
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:840 (840.0 b)  TX bytes:840 (840.0 b)

$ traceroute 127.0.0.1
traceroute to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  localhost (127.0.0.1)  0.169 ms  0.044 ms  0.037 ms

Is there a better way to test it?

Armando

Armando

#24 2005-08-03 02:36:44

amb

Gundamman2 wrote:

Trust me, K3B is affected somehow by this libgnome craziness. I run XFCE and preload some libs and services, so perhaps that had something to do with it but something in our systems has corrupted these libs and thus it has adversely affected our systems.

All I did to get my system up and running again (i.e. being able to save images in firefox and resolving the K3B problem) was to delete /opt/gnome/lib and then reinstall the deleted libraries with fresh packages by using the -Sf command with pacman. But I only reinstalled the libraries that file-roller required not nautilus. After I did that everything worked fine. I am pretty sure that renaming the libs doesn't do anything, they need to be reinstalled completely (hence the deleting).

Make mine Gundamman2's words.
I'm running XFCE4 too (maybe something with gtk-xfce-engine?).

I'll (maybe tomorrow) try to uninstall then reinstall /opt/gnome/lib libs as he suggested.
When you uninstall and then reinstall the packages you change more than the libs, you reinstall fresh configuration files (specially /opt/gnome/etc/gconf/schemas/...). Maybe we have these configuration files messed in some manner.

JGC seems to know much more than me about this (well, everybody knows much more than me...), I'd like to know his/her opinion.

Armando

Armando

#25 2005-08-04 03:19:49

amb

It didn't worked !!!  (imagine here an emoticon pulling off its hair)

I've done (almost) as Gundamman2 suggested:

... renamed /opt/gnome (not only /opt/gnome/lib)
# mv /opt/gnome /opt/znome
... removed the packages without dependency check and including configuration files
# pacman -Rdn eel file-roller gail gconf gnome-desktop gnome-keyring gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs libbonobo libbonoboui libgnome libgnomecanvas libgnomeui nautilus orbit2
...reinstalled the packages from repository
# pacman -Sy eel file-roller gail gconf gnome-desktop gnome-keyring gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs libbonobo libbonoboui libgnome libgnomecanvas libgnomeui nautilus orbit2

Have I missed something ?   :?

Armando

Board footer