#1 2005-07-20 15:31:38

slackhack

printing died

specs:
samsung ML-1740 on windows XP
arch linux - desktop
slackware 10.1 - laptop

problem: printing died on the arch box

details: i set up printing a few weeks ago, successfully printed test pages from both arch and slack. since then, i've mostly been printing from the laptop with no problems. today i go to print from arch, and it fails with an lp  error:

lp: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

laptop still prints.

:?:

in arch, i removed printer in the config and then added it again, no success. the configuration is the same as it was, and the same as in slack. cupsd is running, and i also restarted it. it kind of seems like it would be a permissions problem, but of what? maybe not. i'm stumped. any suggestions? thanks

#2 2005-07-20 15:43:22

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: printing died

5 will get you 50 its a udev problem. :-D

Somebody else mentioned recent printing problems. I agree it was probably a permissions problem, check your udev config? Can you log into cups config as root and print a test page?

Dusty

#3 2005-07-20 16:26:04

slackhack

Dusty wrote:

5 will get you 50 its a udev problem. :-D

Somebody else mentioned recent printing problems. I agree it was probably a permissions problem, check your udev config? Can you log into cups config as root and print a test page?

Dusty

i can log in, but i can't print from the browser. i've never been able to use smb in the moz browsers though, so no surprise there. apparently the kde browser can use smb, but printing there fails, too. in that case, however, i think it's because there's no way (that i can tell) to set another user name, and i've just been using the XP user's name (since i'm too lazy to set up my linux user/s on that machine tongue). (there's a samsung utility that you can print from, in case you were wondering.)

"Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

i'm still using devfs. :oops:  udev is one of my major achilles heels. i tried switching once and i couldn't boot my system, so i never wanted to deal with it again. everything's been working (till now), so i've been taking the "if it's not broke don't fix it" approach. maybe when it's absolutely necessary b/c arch won't run without it, i'll think about trying it again. tongue or should i just bit the bullet and convert now, since i have this other problem anyway?

#4 2005-07-20 16:27:27

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I dunno. converting to udev might solve your problem. If it doesn't, at least you've converted to udev.

Its a lot less painful than it used to be.

Dusty

#5 2005-07-20 16:30:44

slackhack

okay, let me try it. see you in a while (maybe  :shock: ). lol

=====================>

it worked! big_smile

printing is still the same, though.

wow, i'm surprised at how easy that was. even sound is working with no changes. i had some boot errors, but they went by too fast to write down. the only ones in dmesg are about agpgart, i guess i can sort that out later.

so what do i need to do to check the udev permissions for cups/printing?

>> p.s. is there a way to keep the boot sequence stuff on the screen instead of clearing it when it goes to login? i remember reading a thread about that when i first started using arch, but i can't find it now.

#6 2005-07-20 16:53:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

delete the first char from /etc/issue.

This is in the wiki, but the wiki is down. Oh no it isn't. Yes it is...

check it out:
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … 20messages

Its kind of magical when that sucker actually loads.

Dusty

#7 2005-07-21 00:12:25

lanrat

Set correct debug level in cups config and try again.
This should print a lot more info about the problem.
Details:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … cups+debug

#8 2005-07-21 14:48:04

TheDoctor
Website

client-error-forbidden errors are generally due to samba permission errors, or insufficient permissions on the XP machine. 

Is the XP machine XP home, or XP pro?  Can you connect to any shares on the XP machine?

#9 2005-07-23 14:27:10

slackhack

TheDoctor wrote:

client-error-forbidden errors are generally due to samba permission errors, or insufficient permissions on the XP machine. 

Is the XP machine XP home, or XP pro?  Can you connect to any shares on the XP machine?

XP pro. i can connect to the shares.

i'm wondering if the problem might be because i'm using the XP username and pw without having that user on my arch box. i did that so i wouldn't have to set up my linux user on the XP box and have it show up on the person's login screen (from my limited XPerience, windows xp seems to suck at managing users -- you can't turn off the option of having a user show up in the login screens, etc.).

but it did print the test page once with all the same settings. they're exactly the same as they were when both the arch and slack boxes printed the test, and the slack box is set up the same way regarding users. the only other thing that changed is that i did a few pacman updates in between it working and not working, but there's no way to know what was updated that might have changed things. and that was before udev.

i guess i'll change the debug level and mess around with the users when i get a chance, tomorrow maybe. thanks for the help, i'll post back when i know more.

------------------------------------------
>>EDIT: i forgot to update this.

at one point when i was tinkering around i guess i had added the Servername in /etc/cups/client.conf. i checked all my working slackware .confs against my arch confs, and that wasn't specified in the slackware version (commented out as myhost.mydomain.com). so i removed it from the arch file, and now printing is magically working again. tongue

Board footer