You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-16 14:24:57

AlmostSurelyRob

[SOLVED] scilab and matlab - blank GUIs

Dear All,

I have encountered an issue which seems to affect both the commercial and the non-commercial software of the same type. Both scilab and matlab fail to load their GUIs correctly. In both bases the GUI is simply a grey background. When run from the command line matlab does not complain at all whilst scilab prompts me with

(process:13083): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.

I am runnning an X-server with xmonad. No dekstop environement. If you have any ideas on how to solve it or how to learn more about what's casuing ths problem, please let me know. The non-GUI versions for both programs work so I can manage for now, but it would be very useful for me if this could be solved.

Last edited by AlmostSurelyRob (2012-04-17 08:21:27)

#2 2012-04-16 15:35:05

prasinoulhs

Re: [SOLVED] scilab and matlab - blank GUIs

I had a similar problem this solved it for me.

#3 2012-04-17 07:52:57

AlmostSurelyRob

Many thanks! That worked and it fixed many other programs e.g. geogebra. Obviously, all the programs that were using Java based GUI. I have to say, that I don't quite understand why this solved the issue. Does LG3D stand for Looking Glass project? Why didn't I have to set xmonad as my WM?

Last edited by AlmostSurelyRob (2012-04-17 08:12:55)

#4 2012-04-17 08:09:07

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Please mark as solved. And the questions you're asking are easily solved with a quick google, its a long-standing and known issue with some Java apps and tiling WMs. LG3D is selected as a joke. As I said, just google for it.

EDIT: typos....

Last edited by ngoonee (2012-04-17 08:10:35)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-04-17 08:26:56

AlmostSurelyRob

Thanks. I did google before asking. It's just that I couldn't see the reference to LG3D, but now it's clear.

#6 2012-04-17 08:53:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

AlmostSurelyRob wrote:

Thanks. I did google before asking. It's just that I couldn't see the reference to LG3D, but now it's clear.

Yep. Your initial problem is quite common (and not at all easy to find), but the follow-up is quite well covered, as you have already found I'm sure.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer