#1 2012-04-18 18:49:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

GIMP... GEGL... 100%... \o/

#2 2012-04-18 19:07:05

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: GIMP... GEGL... 100%... \o/

"GEGL"... does this mean that all our pixels will now be indexed and used for marketing purposes? wink

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2012-04-18 19:14:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:

"GEGL"... does this mean that all our pixels will now be indexed and used for marketing purposes? wink

You'll fire up GIMP and it will ask you for your phone number just in case you lose your favorite brush.

#4 2012-04-18 20:04:56

drcouzelis
Website

skottish wrote:

You'll fire up GIMP and it will ask you for your phone number just in case you lose your favorite brush.

I'd totally fork it, then I'd remove that code and throw it in the garbage, and give the fork some snazzy name. Like "GEGLIMP".

In all the news sites that have announced this, I haven't seen anyone talking about my favorite feature that GEGL will allow: non-destructive editing. So cool.

Last edited by drcouzelis (2012-04-18 20:05:16)

#5 2012-04-18 21:03:16

Jristz

I not underestand really the magnificent of this
any want explain this in realy-simple-english?

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#6 2012-04-18 21:33:23

skottish
Forum Fellow

Jristz wrote:

The goal of GEGL has always been to be a professional grade, high performance, and extensible graphics engine. It's capable of far greater functionality and quality than what GIMP's current back end has ever been able to achieve. With GIMP finally migrating over totally to GEGL, it sets the stage for it to grow far beyond what it is today.

#7 2012-04-18 22:23:55

Jristz

skottish wrote:
Jristz wrote:

The goal of GEGL has always been to be a professional grade, high performance, and extensible graphics engine. It's capable of far greater functionality and quality than what GIMP's current back end has ever been able to achieve. With GIMP finally migrating over totally to GEGL, it sets the stage for it to grow far beyond what it is today.

thanks.

in this case:
/)^3^(\ is so awesome
now Gimp can become aaaaaaaaaaaaprofesionl cppetitor for any program images

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#8 2012-04-19 10:44:55

Grinch

Some things it solves are the limitation of 8-bits per channel which has apparently been a sore point for those working on photography in Gimp and GEGL will support up to 32-bits per channel IIRC. Also unlike with Photoshop plugins, all GEGL filters will support these enhanced channel ranges from the get go, add to that non-destructive editing and OpenCL accelerated functionality. Finally since this is implemented as a library (generic graphics library) it can be used by tons of other programs other than Gimp, which will hopefully consolidate efforts into GEGL as THE base graphics library and thus accelerate it's development.

#9 2012-04-19 13:42:50

skottish
Forum Fellow

Grinch wrote:

Some things it solves are the limitation of 8-bits per channel which has apparently been a sore point for those working on photography in Gimp and GEGL will support up to 32-bits per channel IIRC. Also unlike with Photoshop plugins, all GEGL filters will support these enhanced channel ranges from the get go, add to that non-destructive editing and OpenCL accelerated functionality. Finally since this is implemented as a library (generic graphics library) it can be used by tons of other programs other than Gimp, which will hopefully consolidate efforts into GEGL as THE base graphics library and thus accelerate it's development.

All great points. The last one is particularly interesting for people that don't like GIMP's UI and don't think that the changes in the new branch are good enough. GEGL could make it much easier for other image editors, manipulation tools, and/or paint programs to be developed. For people that want a pure QT based system, they may get their own editor. People that want GIMPs functionality built into or consistent with Blender's UI, there could be a OpenGL based GUI developed (that would be cool).

#10 2012-04-22 15:37:49

Grinch

Agreed, the sort of functionality encompassed in GEGL is likely rewritten for tons of applications dealing with graphics manipulation despite them actually being implemented very differently and sometimes targeting very different usage.  Being able to leverage the same base graphics library across all these different applications will not only make it easier to develop but likely also increase the capacity/features of many of these applications given that it's unlikely all of them would have the know-how/man-power/motivation to implement all the features GEGL has even though they'd be happy to have them.

All-in-all GEGL looks like it could become a core library for everything that has to do with graphics manipulation and since it's LGPL licenced only changes made to the actual library needs to be released under the GPL which should further limit obstacles for adoption. Hopefully we'll also see developers en masse rally towards GEGL and make it even better rather than choosing to make their own implementations of the functionality GEGL offers.

Board footer