You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-20 01:59:03

plenus

[solved] How to install with old BIOS + 60GB SSD + 3TB HDD + fulldisk?

I'm new to archlinux and this will be my first install. I use Debian and Kubuntu, but I'm no expert. I've read many archlinux docs (and they *are good*, congatulations), but I couldn't find specifics to what I want to do.

My system is a desktop box (6GB RAM) that I use for video editing, compiling, browsing and many other unrelated things. What I plan to do is to organize things in the following way:

SSD (60GB): first disk (for a fast boot up time) with only one partition, ext4
/ and everything, except for /home and /var

HDD (3TB): second disk with only one partition, ext4
Mounted as /something
Symlinks (or bind mounts) to /var and /home

My reason to use only one partition for / and one for /home and /var is to not have to worry about balancing partition sizes among system files, user files, web server files, etc.

Could you please comment on the following:

1) It seems that I can't use a a regular partition larger than 2.2TB, so I will have to use GPT. Do I need (or is it recommended) to partition both disks with GPT? Does it work with non EFI BIOSes? Can I use a regular GRUB2 install?

2) What is the recommended way of installing arch using this set up? Do I install everything under the SSD and later move /var and /home to the HDD?

3) What is the best way to have the complete final root file system: using symlinks, bind mounts, or any other technique?

4) I deal with huge files and sometimes huge pictures and huge memory needs (Blender 3D, GIMP and Inkscape with huge files, radiosity rendering, etc). I've read that a swap partition is not needed nowadays. So I was thinking of creating just a swap file inside the HDD partition. Would it degrade too much the HDD performance or fragmentation? Could it be used for hibernation?

5) Can I use the regular arch install procedure to accomplish all that or do i have to prepare anything before/after?

6) Any other tips?

Thanks

Last edited by plenus (2012-04-21 02:49:47)

#2 2012-04-20 08:32:05

seveg

Re: [solved] How to install with old BIOS + 60GB SSD + 3TB HDD + fulldisk?

plenus wrote:

1) It seems that I can't use a a regular partition larger than 2.2TB, so I will have to use GPT. Do I need (or is it recommended) to partition both disks with GPT? Does it work with non EFI BIOSes? Can I use a regular GRUB2 install?

According to wikipedia, linux has no problem booting from GPT on BIOS, and accordind to archwiki, GRUB2 provides the ability to boot from GPT in both BIOS and UEFI based systems.. I dont think that formating both disk with GPT is necessary, but I am not sure.

plenus wrote:

2) What is the recommended way of installing arch using this set up? Do I install everything under the SSD and later move /var and /home to the HDD?

I would install with this approach.

plenus wrote:

3) What is the best way to have the complete final root file system: using symlinks, bind mounts, or any other technique?

In this setup (/var and /home on one big partition), I would use symlinks.

plenus wrote:

4) I deal with huge files and sometimes huge pictures and huge memory needs (Blender 3D, GIMP and Inkscape with huge files, radiosity rendering, etc). I've read that a swap partition is not needed nowadays. So I was thinking of creating just a swap file inside the HDD partition. Would it degrade too much the HDD performance or fragmentation? Could it be used for hibernation?

This says Google about swap file/partition performance. You could use hibernation. I allways go with swap partition, but nowadays it is just proforma, because I have enough memory to never use swap.

plenus wrote:

5) Can I use the regular arch install procedure to accomplish all that or do i have to prepare anything before/after?

I think (but I'm not sure, though) parted is on installation media.

Just another drug abuser..

#3 2012-04-20 08:51:52

DSpider

/etc/fstab entries are probably better (instead of symbolic links).

60 GB seems a bit much for just /. I would keep 20 GB or so unpartitioned for a possible Windows install. Even I wouldn't need it right away, it would save some hassle in the future.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-04-20 13:35:25

lowph

To use the complete 3TB drive you need to use GPT but this works just fine with Linux. There is no real advantage on using GPT for your boot SSD (nor any disadvantage when not using Windows).

I boot of a GPT partitioned SSD using GRUB2 on a standard BIOS pc, no problem.

#5 2012-04-21 02:47:11

plenus

Thank you all for your comments. I'm ready now.

DSpider wrote:

... I would keep 20 GB or so unpartitioned for a possible Windows install. Even I wouldn't need it right away, it would save some hassle in the future.

It is a good advice. However, I don't have any need for Windows nor I see any need coming in the future. I'd rather handle such future need when it (don't) comes. ;-)

Board footer