You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-25 23:12:43

Zolas

[SOLVED] Problem Printing over Wireless

Hi,

I've run into a somewhat strange problem with my printer. I have a Brother HL-2250DN which is connected to my network and which I access over the wireless network. I can print via this connection from a laptop running Win7 and from another laptop running Arch. However, on my work laptop also running Arch I cannot print! I have set it up exactly like the other one running Arch, but nothing happens when I try to print a test page or a document from LibreOffice. I can ping the printer so it's clearly there and CUPS automatically finds it although it cannot locate the printer when I send a job using CUPS' automatic configuration. The really strange part is this. Yesterday, I installed the printer the exact same way as today and it worked. My SSD broke down, however, so had to install a new one, and now on this second but identical installation I cannot print. I don't really know where to start looking since CUPS seems to think the job is completed correctly and nothing is in the /var/log/cups/error.log. Any ideas?

/Zolas

Last edited by Zolas (2012-04-26 10:37:45)

#2 2012-04-26 00:20:57

Meskarune
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem Printing over Wireless

Maybe double check all your configurations, make sure your system is up-to-date, and check the settings on your firewall. Also be sure the cups daemon is running. Make sure you reboot after updating. Its hard to tell what the issue could be since you aren't getting any errors. Can you print to your printer from the command line...?

Homepage  | Arch Linux Women | Arch Linux Classroom
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG:
Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

#3 2012-04-26 10:36:55

Zolas

Re: [SOLVED] Problem Printing over Wireless

Thanks for your reply. I solved it! It turned out to be a problem with installing the driver on a 64-bit system. I installed lib32-glibc and made a /usr/lib64 directory, and installed the driver (as previously) following this wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Brother_HL-2030 substituting the necessary files and entries with those relevant to my printer (HL2250DN). I'm not exactly sure where things went wrong in the first instance, but following the procedure I have described here works.

/Zolas

Board footer