You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-26 04:40:36

uniquerockrz
Website

Workaround to get gnome-control-center(system setting)working gnome3.4

If you have recently updated to Gnome 3.4.1, you will find that you will be unable to launch system settings from user menu as well as from applications. I came to know at this post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140131 that if you run  MALLOC_CHECK_=1 gnome-control-center it automatically starts. This post is for people who dont want to type everytime in terminal to launch system settings. A bug has been notified, so still it is resolved, you can use this workaround.

To do this, we will make a script and place it in /usr/bin and will link the script with .desktop file of gnome-control-center

cd to /usr/bin from the terminal and create a file using super user privilages. Make sure its not the name of any other applications or programs. I used gncc

cd /usr/bin
sudo nano gncc

in it, type this code

MALLOC_CHECK_=1 gnome-control-center

save and exit. Now

cd /usr/share/applications/
sudo gedit gnome-control-center.desktop

Navigate down, finally when you find the Exec parameter, replace it with gncc, like I have done

Icon=preferences-system
Exec=gncc
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;System;

Save and exit. Now you will be able to launch system settings both from user menu and applications. You can do the same workaround for other .desktop files like power settings, display etc, but that will be hectic, so better launch the overview and navigate to other settings from there.

Note: I was unable to run MALLOC_CHECK_=1 gnome-control-center directly from the desktop file so I had to make a script in /usr/bin to get it done. If anyone knows how to do that from .desktop file, kindly let me know.

Last edited by uniquerockrz (2012-04-26 04:52:42)

#2 2012-04-26 18:33:57

kabolt

Re: Workaround to get gnome-control-center(system setting)working gnome3.4

thanks a lot for this hint. I have replaced gnome-control-center with a script instead of modifying the .desktop files. Here the commands to automate this:

sudo -s
mv /usr/bin/gnome-control-center /usr/bin/gnome-control-center2
#the following break is deliberately
echo '#! /bin/sh
MALLOC_CHECK_=1 gnome-control-center2 "$@"' > /usr/bin/gnome-control-center
chmod 0755 /usr/bin/gnome-control-center
exit

#3 2012-05-05 02:25:30

Almehdin

Re: Workaround to get gnome-control-center(system setting)working gnome3.4

The easiest i think would be to use ~/.local/share/applications/

cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
sed -i "s/Exec=.*/Exec=bash -c 'MALLOC_CHECK_=1 gnome-control-center --overview'/" ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop

Then when the fix has come just remove it with "rm ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop"

Last edited by Almehdin (2012-05-05 02:28:33)

Board footer