You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-26 13:33:22

claestw

[SOLVED] Samba with Win7 unearthing a name resolution problem?

[SOLVED]: The problem was a mis-configuration in smb.conf. "hosts allow", I mis-typed my 192.168. as 192.169., so samba was denying all connection from my WIN7 box.
--

Hi all

I've got a clean installation of Archlinux and trying to access the Samba share from a Windows 7 box.

The network consists of a Buffalo AirStation (wireless AP + 4 LAN router) connected to the internet,
then the WIN7 box and the ARCH box connected to the AirStation LAN ports.
Both WIN7 and ARCH use AirStation's DHCP service. Both are in the MYGROUP workgroup.
Both have internet access at the same time (downloading on WIN7 while pacman is downloading packages on ARCH).

I then installed Samba according to the wiki, set up users and shares and started the service.
But ARCH doesn't show up in WIN7 network neighbourhood.

Following Samba's troubleshooting steps, I realized that:
1) WIN7 ping ARCH = ok
2) ARCH ping WIN7 = "unknown host WIN7"

I also tried accessing the shares from ARCH itself locally, as described in the troubleshooting guide, this part works perfectly.
Then I manually enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP in WIN7, no effect.

Could anyone please help me get ARCH onto WIN7's network neighbourhood?

Last edited by claestw (2012-04-27 15:15:33)

#2 2012-04-26 15:33:02

roentgen

Re: [SOLVED] Samba with Win7 unearthing a name resolution problem?

Pinging and accessing the shares using the ip address works?
With the avahi daemon running I think might be able to ping something like win7.local.

#3 2012-04-26 23:49:10

claestw

On the WIN7 box, pinging ARCH using the IP and name both works.
On the WIN7 box, accessing the share using the IP doesn't work, neither does using the name.

On the ARCH box, pinging WIN7 using the IP works, using the name doesn't.
On the ARCH box, accessing the share using IP and name both works.

#4 2012-04-27 05:38:59

Gcool

Check if you can connect from your Windows box to the Arch box on port 139 (telnet for example). If this doesn't work, the basic connectivity isn't functioning correctly (check for possible firewall rules on both ends,...).

Burninate!

#5 2012-04-27 15:14:24

claestw

The weird thing is everything works except the name resolution and the samba service. I've been working on this for hours and finally realized where the problem is. I never checked the error log. I should have.

Sorry for wasting people's time. And I really appreciated your help.

The problem was that I mis-typed the smb.conf "hosts allow". It should have been 192.168. but I typed 192.169. That's why samba is refusing all connections. The log showed clearly that it "Denied connection (hosts allow)".

Again, thanks very much for the help! I'll remember to check the error logs in future whenever I run into a problem! big_smile

Board footer