You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-27 14:13:26

EdTheUniqueGeek

[SOLVED] Beginners' Guide stumped on pacman -Syyu curl

I'm a total green noob on Arch and am going through the Beginners' Guide. I'm on the section about rankmirrors and am at pacman -Syyu curl and am getting the following:

6073-4032.PNG

Is this normal? Is this the part where I continue to edit my mirrorlist and comment and uncomment servers until I don't get the Unauthorized error any longer?
Thanks.

Last edited by EdTheUniqueGeek (2012-04-27 23:53:53)

#2 2012-04-27 14:30:57

adamrehard

Re: [SOLVED] Beginners' Guide stumped on pacman -Syyu curl

The Wiki wrote:

If you get an error at this step, use the command nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and uncomment a server that suits you.

I would try commenting out your current servers and switching to new ones.

Or an even better option, in my opinion than rankmirrors, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … _Generator.
Mirrorlist generator will do what rankmirrors does, while also checking for how updated the mirror is. You'll need wget installed to use it.

"The box said requires Vista or better, so I installed Arch"
Windows != Linux

#3 2012-04-27 14:40:23

ewaller
Administrator

What type of network are you using ?  Any chance that ftp sites are being blocked by your ISP ?  (This is often true for places of work, internet cafes, and some schools) 

Try picking servers that use an http protocol rather than an ftp protocol and see if that helps.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2012-04-27 14:43:22

EdTheUniqueGeek

ewaller wrote:

What type of network are you using ?  Any chance that ftp sites are being blocked by your ISP ?  (This is often true for places of work, internet cafes, and some schools) 

Try picking servers that use an http protocol rather than an ftp protocol and see if that helps.

Yeah, I was only using HTTP servers. No FTP.

I am in the process I trying the shell script from adamrehard suggestion.

#5 2012-04-27 14:46:13

masteryod

EdTheUniqueGeek wrote:

I'm a total green noob on Arch [...] I'm on the section about rankmirrors [...]

If you're new to Arch don't you think that sticking to basic bulletproof setup would be wise and then learn new stuff? If you try all things that are not necessary there is high risk of breaking system and you wont even have a clue where start to look for solution. Back in my first days with Arch I didn't even consider such things like mirror rank - goal was to setup working system. My advice is - choose manually mirror that have low sync delay from http://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/ and focus on major things. Good luck and feel welcome on the forum wink

EdTheUniqueGeek wrote:

I am in the process I trying the shell script from adamrehard suggestion.

Again - pick rit or kernel.org mirror - you can be pretty sure they are working right now, for troubleshooting you can even choose archlinux.org (but change it for real usage) find out if it's not the http/ftp thing like people earlier noticed and work the problem with your configuration, the problem is not mirror choosing

Last edited by masteryod (2012-04-27 14:53:33)

#6 2012-04-27 14:53:34

EdTheUniqueGeek

masteryod wrote:
EdTheUniqueGeek wrote:

I'm a total green noob on Arch [...] I'm on the section about rankmirrors [...]

If you're new to Arch don't you think that sticking to basic bulletproof setup would be wise and then learn new stuff? If you try all things that are not necessary there is high risk of breaking system and you wont even have a clue where start to look at. Back in my first days with Arch I didn't even consider such things like mirror rank - goal was to setup working system. My advice is - choose manually mirror that have low sync delay from http://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/ and focus on major things. Good luck and feel welcome on the forum wink

I was just following the Beginners' Guide. If I should be skipping the rankmirrors section then I guess I will. But even from the previous section of picking servers in the mirrorlist I was getting the same errors.
I will use your URL referral to the Mirror Status servers and pick servers from there.
Thanks.

#7 2012-04-27 15:17:50

EdTheUniqueGeek

Okay. I went back to using the original mirrorlist and just uncommented the servers that are successful syncing per the URL. Just completing a refresh I get the same errors:

6075-3723.PNG

As you can see at the top I am able to ping one of the servers just fine.
Either I am doing something wrong or maybe my work network doesn't allow this syncing. I guess I could try a new build within Virtualbox when I get home.

#8 2012-04-27 15:22:30

chamber

Its more than likely an issue with your work network. Test when you get home and it should be fine.

meh

#9 2012-04-27 16:10:12

Gcool

Most likely you're passing through a proxy somewhere (and your session is not authenticated). If you have an explicit proxy configured in your browser of your host os, use the same settings (ip + credentials) and configure them in your Arch environment (see the wiki for instructions).

If it's a transparent proxy (with ntlm authentication or whatever), then you're out of luck basically.

Burninate!

#10 2012-04-27 16:17:59

masteryod

EdTheUniqueGeek wrote:

I was just following the Beginners' Guide. If I should be skipping the rankmirrors section then I guess I will.

Beginners' Guide clearly state to uncomment server close to you in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist wink this is important default step to execute. Other steps are alternative - which is good. I'm just saying if this is your first time focus on important things and later come back and try to tweak things when you will be familiar how Arch works. And don't gave up to quickly - you'll be rewarded with knowledge and great system.

#11 2012-04-27 16:55:06

EdTheUniqueGeek

masteryod wrote:
EdTheUniqueGeek wrote:

I was just following the Beginners' Guide. If I should be skipping the rankmirrors section then I guess I will.

Beginners' Guide clearly state to uncomment server close to you in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist wink this is important default step to execute. Other steps are alternative - which is good. I'm just saying if this is your first time focus on important things and later come back and try to tweak things when you will be familiar how Arch works. And don't gave up to quickly - you'll be rewarded with knowledge and great system.

Ok.
Yeah. I had uncomment the servers close to me and was still getting the same sync errors.
I'm going to try an install on vm when I get home, instead of at work, to see if I still get those errors.

#12 2012-04-27 23:53:18

EdTheUniqueGeek

Working now. I also disabled ipv6 in my bootloader too.

Board footer